Re: [mythsoc] Gormenghast Trilogy

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 29, 2000
      In a message dated 06/29/2000 11:34:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      << Sometimes time and experience changes your tastes. >>

      True, very true. In either direction. We all know the little letdown of
      revisiting a book we loved and finding it less than we remember.

      Somehow I can't imagine ever reaching the point where I will be comfortable
      reading The Alexandria Quartet or the Brothers Karamazov. But one never
      knows..... What else are we individually finding difficult to digest?

      Lizzie
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 29, 2000
        On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 ERATRIANO@... wrote:

        > What else are we individually finding difficult to digest?

        I personally find it difficult to digest almost any recent fantasy
        bestseller (Robert Jordan, David Eddings, to name two I've seriously
        tried), except for the Harry Potter books, which go down easy.

        David Bratman
        - not responsible for the following bestseller -
      • RSHinds@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 29, 2000
          In a message dated 6/29/00 1:06:35 PM Central Daylight Time,
          dbratman@... writes:

          << I personally find it difficult to digest almost any recent fantasy
          bestseller (Robert Jordan >>

          Here, here....I find most of them to be written for 10th graders. I've tried
          Robert Jordan and had to scratch my head wondering what all the fuss was
          about.