Re: Santorum evokes Tolkien

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 39 , Oct 26, 2006

      > If what Santorum is saying makes any sense,
      > he is claiming that the forces in Iraq are all doomed to die, because the real
      > battle is elsewhere and the forces in Iraq are merely there to draw off the
      > attention of the terrorists so they don't attack in the U.S.

      I don't see this as at all the sole construction that yields sense to Santorum's analogy. One
      could say that Santorum means that the fighting in Iraq serves to draw the terrorist forces,
      and the attention of their ring-leaders, to one battlefield, distracting them and siphoning
      the resources there from launching further attacks in the US, while the other agents of this
      war, namely our intelligence operatives and covert forces, are seeking out and attacking
      the financial and command centers of those ring-leaders, thus striking at the centers of
      will to domination in the War on Terror. You may not agree that this is what is actually
      happening, but others, including Santorum, may and do, and it renders his analogy far
      more apt than the clumsy constructions others have offered in an effort to portray
      Santorum (et al.) as a clueless idiot.

      > It assumes that a large military force isn't
      > going to object to being used as cannon fodder in a battle that everyone
      > knows is hopeless

      The appeal to the forces of good to do just that: to be willing to sacrifice their own lives in
      the cause of good, even though (seemingly) hopeless, is rather a (if not _the_) central
      theme of _The Lord of the Rings_, isn't it? I.e., that the struggle against evil is never
      pointless, even if it is (or seems) utlimately futile: resistance against evil IS its own point.
      We must all do our part, even when (seemingly) hopeless, and trust in Providence to win
      the day (even if that day is long after our own).

      (BTW, this reply is addressed to the general discussion, not to Wendell directly. I don't
      know that he himself holds the particular attitudes I've responded to, and don't assume
      that he does.)
    • ajkjr1
      Message 39 of 39 , Oct 29, 2006
        Here is a copy of the poem, it is in The Fellowship of The Ring.

        The Road goes ever on and on
        Down from the door where it began.
        Now far ahead the Road has gone,
        And I must follow, if I can,