Re: [mythsoc] Gormenghast Trilogy

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 29, 2000
      Put it back on your shelf (well, return it to the library if it was a library
      book) and wait a few years. Sometimes time and experience changes your
      tastes.

      Wendell Wagner
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 29, 2000
        In a message dated 06/29/2000 11:34:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        WendellWag@... writes:

        << Sometimes time and experience changes your tastes. >>

        True, very true. In either direction. We all know the little letdown of
        revisiting a book we loved and finding it less than we remember.

        Somehow I can't imagine ever reaching the point where I will be comfortable
        reading The Alexandria Quartet or the Brothers Karamazov. But one never
        knows..... What else are we individually finding difficult to digest?

        Lizzie
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 29, 2000
          On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 ERATRIANO@... wrote:

          > What else are we individually finding difficult to digest?

          I personally find it difficult to digest almost any recent fantasy
          bestseller (Robert Jordan, David Eddings, to name two I've seriously
          tried), except for the Harry Potter books, which go down easy.

          David Bratman
          - not responsible for the following bestseller -
        • RSHinds@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 29, 2000
            In a message dated 6/29/00 1:06:35 PM Central Daylight Time,
            dbratman@... writes:

            << I personally find it difficult to digest almost any recent fantasy
            bestseller (Robert Jordan >>

            Here, here....I find most of them to be written for 10th graders. I've tried
            Robert Jordan and had to scratch my head wondering what all the fuss was
            about.