Re: [mythsoc] Gormenghast Trilogy

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 29, 2000
      In a message dated 06/29/2000 9:05:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      RSHinds@... writes:

      << I'm sorry, all, but it's the patience that Steve counsels here that I'm
      afraid I've finally run out of. I've bailed out. >>

      LOL I've done that on occasion. Sometimes because the book is just not
      providing what I feel is a good return on my precious time (we don't have the
      endless reading time we did in high school anymore do we?), other times
      because I can't give the book enough time to read it properly. I bailed a
      few years back on Kazantzakis' _Report to Greco_, having enjoyed some of his
      other works. I can't wait to someday read it for real.

      Lizzie
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 29, 2000
        Put it back on your shelf (well, return it to the library if it was a library
        book) and wait a few years. Sometimes time and experience changes your
        tastes.

        Wendell Wagner
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 29, 2000
          In a message dated 06/29/2000 11:34:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          WendellWag@... writes:

          << Sometimes time and experience changes your tastes. >>

          True, very true. In either direction. We all know the little letdown of
          revisiting a book we loved and finding it less than we remember.

          Somehow I can't imagine ever reaching the point where I will be comfortable
          reading The Alexandria Quartet or the Brothers Karamazov. But one never
          knows..... What else are we individually finding difficult to digest?

          Lizzie
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 29, 2000
            On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 ERATRIANO@... wrote:

            > What else are we individually finding difficult to digest?

            I personally find it difficult to digest almost any recent fantasy
            bestseller (Robert Jordan, David Eddings, to name two I've seriously
            tried), except for the Harry Potter books, which go down easy.

            David Bratman
            - not responsible for the following bestseller -
          • RSHinds@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 29, 2000
              In a message dated 6/29/00 1:06:35 PM Central Daylight Time,
              dbratman@... writes:

              << I personally find it difficult to digest almost any recent fantasy
              bestseller (Robert Jordan >>

              Here, here....I find most of them to be written for 10th graders. I've tried
              Robert Jordan and had to scratch my head wondering what all the fuss was
              about.