Re: [mythsoc] Santorum evokes Tolkien

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 39 , Oct 21, 2006
      I guess Santorum never read the Foreword, as in:

      As for any inner meaning or 'message', it has in the intention of the author none.
      It is neither allegorical nor topical ... The real war does not resemble the legendary
      war in its process or its conclusion. If it had inspired or directed the development
      of the legend, then certainly the Ring would have been seized and used against
      Sauron; he would not have been annihilated but enslaved, and Barad-dûr would
      not have been destroyed but occupied. Saruman, failing to get possession of the
      Ring, would in the confusion and treacheries of the time have found in Mordor the
      missing links in his own researches into Ring-lore, and before long he would have
      made a Great Ring of his own with which to challenge the self-styled Ruler of
      Middle-earth. In that conflict both sides would have held hobbits in hatred and
      contempt: they would not long have survived even as slaves.

      Sadly phrases like "not ... destroyed but occupied" (Iraq?) and "he would have made a Great Ring of his own ... to challenge" (Iran, North Korea?) in Tolkien's alternative here sound a lot more like the real world -- and are more evidence to the inappropriateness of using Tolkien's *actual* story for political analogy.

      Jason
    • ajkjr1
      Message 39 of 39 , Oct 29, 2006
        Here is a copy of the poem, it is in The Fellowship of The Ring.

        The Road goes ever on and on
        Down from the door where it began.
        Now far ahead the Road has gone,
        And I must follow, if I can,