RE: [mythsoc] Santorum evokes Tolkien

  • Jay Hershberger
    Message 1 of 39 , Oct 20, 2006
      Yes, Santorum's analogy is alarming. However, Bob Casey's response is
      also off target, regarding "a fantasy book." Did not Tolkien himself
      sanction "applicability?" Santorum's application of the "Eye of Mordor"
      to Iraq is questionable, to be sure. It seems to me, however, that one
      of the hallmarks of good fantasy is that it allows the reader to reflect
      upon how the story might speak to the primary world. Tolkien himself
      applied Mordor to the current events of his day.
      Perhaps Santorum's imagination is flawed. Apparently Casey has no
      imagination. An ill choice lies before us.(I'm glad I don't live in
      Pennsylvania).
      Cheers,
      Jay Hershberger
      Moorhead, MN

      The sound you hear is that of JRRT spinning like a top...

      Edith L. Crowe | (408) 808-2037 | edith.crowe@
      <mailto:edith.crowe%40sjsu.edu> sjsu.edu
      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc
      <http://www.mythsoc.org> org)

      John D Rateliff <sacnoth@earthlink. <mailto:sacnoth%40earthlink.net>
      net>
      Sent by: mythsoc@yahoogroups <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> .com
      10/20/2006 01:29 PM
      Please respond to
      mythsoc@yahoogroups <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> .com

      mythsoc@yahoogroups <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> .com
      cc

      Subject
      [mythsoc] Santorum evokes Tolkien

      Words fail me.*

      > http://www.phillybu
      <http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/111-10172006-728120.html>
      rbs.com/pb-dyn/news/111-10172006-728120.html

      *but not Stephen Colbert, who deconstructed the metaphor on last
      night's show.

    • ajkjr1
      Message 39 of 39 , Oct 29, 2006
        Here is a copy of the poem, it is in The Fellowship of The Ring.

        The Road goes ever on and on
        Down from the door where it began.
        Now far ahead the Road has gone,
        And I must follow, if I can,