Re: [mythsoc] Fw: The road goes on forever...

  • Paola Castagno
    Message 1 of 39 , Oct 17, 2006
      This poem appears three times in The Lord of the Rings (and none in The
      Hobbit). And the third one is a bit different from the other two!

      The first one is told by Bilbo as leaving Bag End road to Rivendel (Book I,
      Chapter 1: A Long Expected Party)
      **
      *The Road goes ever on and on
      Down from the door where it began.*
      *Now far ahead the Road has gone,*
      * And I must follow, if I can,*
      *Pursuing it with eager feet,
      Until it joins some larger way
      Where many paths and errands meet.*
      * And whither then? I cannot say.*
      **
      The second one is the same version, this time sung by Frodo (Book I, Chapter
      3: Three is Company)

      *The Road goes ever on and on
      ** Down from the door where it began.
      Now far ahead the Road has gone,
      ** And I must follow, if I can,
      Pursuing it with weary feet,
      ** Until it joins some larger way,
      Where many paths and errands meet.
      ** And whither then? I cannot say.*

      The third one is sung by Bilbo again, after the One Ring has been destroyed
      and the heroes have come back to Rivendel. This version is different from
      the other two (Book VI, Chapter 6: Many Partings):
      **
      *The Road goes ever on and on
      Out from the door where it began.
      Now far ahead the Road has gone,
      Let others follow it who can!
      Let them a journey new begin,
      But I at last with weary feet
      Will turn towards the lighted inn,
      My evening-rest and sleep to meet.'*

      I hope that this was what you were looking for.

      Best regards,

      Paola Castagno.
      Co-author of "J.R.R. Tolkien: Preguntas Frecuentes (y no tan Frecuentes)",
      and "El Hobbit" reader's guide for students in Spanish.
      http://www.elfenomeno.com/
      http://www.docemoradas.com/

      2006/10/17, Edith.Crowe@... <Edith.Crowe@...>:

      > Folks, what I need is specific references to which book (Hobbit, I
      > presume) and where--chapter, since pages will vary w/edition.
      >
      > Edith L. Crowe | (408) 808-2037 | edith.crowe@...<edith.crowe%40sjsu.edu>
      > Interim Head of Collection Development
      > Art & Humanities Librarian & Coordinator of Graduate Instruction
      > San Jose State University Library (http://www.sjlibrary.org)
      >
      > Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)
      >
      > Margaret Dean <margdean@... <margdean%40erols.com>>
      > Sent by: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
      > 10/17/2006 09:55 AM
      > Please respond to
      > mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>

      > mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com>
      > cc
      >
      > Subject
      > Re: [mythsoc] Fw: The road goes on forever...
      >
      > Edith.Crowe@... <Edith.Crowe%40sjsu.edu> wrote:
      > >
      > > Folks, I'm inundated with Real Job stuff right now and would appreciate
      > it
      > > if anyone out there could give me the specific reference. As I recall
      > it's
      > > actually "the road goes ever on and on..."
      >
      > Oh, I have this one memorized.
      >
      > The Road goes ever on and on,
      > Down from the door where it began.
      > Now far ahead the Road has gone,
      > And I must follow, if I can,
      > Pursuing it with eager [weary] feet,
      > Until it joins some larger way
      > Where many paths and errands meet.
      > And whither then? I cannot say.
      >
      > ["Eager" is Bilbo's version, "weary" is Frodo's.]
      >
      > Late in the book, Bilbo sings a different version:
      >
      > The Road goes ever on and on,
      > Out from the door where it began.
      > Now far ahead the Road has gone.
      > Let others follow it who can!
      > Let them a journey new begin,
      > While I at last, with weary feet,
      > Will turn towards the lighted inn,
      > My evening rest and sleep to meet.
      >
      > Hope that helps!
      >
      > --Margaret Dean
      > <margdean@... <margdean%40erols.com>>

    • ajkjr1
      Message 39 of 39 , Oct 29, 2006
        Here is a copy of the poem, it is in The Fellowship of The Ring.

        The Road goes ever on and on
        Down from the door where it began.
        Now far ahead the Road has gone,
        And I must follow, if I can,