Re: [mythsoc] Fw: The road goes on forever...

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 39 , Oct 17, 2006
      Folks, what I need is specific references to which book (Hobbit, I
      presume) and where--chapter, since pages will vary w/edition.

      Edith L. Crowe | (408) 808-2037 | edith.crowe@...
      Interim Head of Collection Development
      Art & Humanities Librarian & Coordinator of Graduate Instruction
      San Jose State University Library (http://www.sjlibrary.org)

      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org)

      Margaret Dean <margdean@...>
      Sent by: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      10/17/2006 09:55 AM
      Please respond to
      mythsoc@yahoogroups.com

      mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      cc

      Subject

      Edith.Crowe@... wrote:

      > Folks, I'm inundated with Real Job stuff right now and would appreciate
      it
      > if anyone out there could give me the specific reference. As I recall
      it's
      > actually "the road goes ever on and on..."

      Oh, I have this one memorized.

      The Road goes ever on and on,
      Down from the door where it began.
      Now far ahead the Road has gone,
      And I must follow, if I can,
      Pursuing it with eager [weary] feet,
      Until it joins some larger way
      Where many paths and errands meet.
      And whither then? I cannot say.

      ["Eager" is Bilbo's version, "weary" is Frodo's.]

      Late in the book, Bilbo sings a different version:

      The Road goes ever on and on,
      Out from the door where it began.
      Now far ahead the Road has gone.
      Let others follow it who can!
      Let them a journey new begin,
      While I at last, with weary feet,
      Will turn towards the lighted inn,
      My evening rest and sleep to meet.

      Hope that helps!

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>

    • ajkjr1
      Message 39 of 39 , Oct 29, 2006
        Here is a copy of the poem, it is in The Fellowship of The Ring.

        The Road goes ever on and on
        Down from the door where it began.
        Now far ahead the Road has gone,
        And I must follow, if I can,