more on Gedo Senki (Earthsea anime)

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
      The "Tales of Earthsea" movie is now out in Japan and doing very
      well, although reviews are apparently mixed. The general consensus
      seems to be that it's very pretty but that as a director Miyazaki Jr.
      is no Miyazaki. The newest issue of Anime Insider magazine (#37, Oct.
      2007, pages 10-11) mentions Le Guin's disappointment in the results
      (although she admits it's better than that Sci-Fi Channel horror) and
      includes some interesting background. Turns out Miyazaki himself
      approached her some twenty years ago about making an Earthsea film
      and she turned him down, having never heard of him at the time. A few
      years ago she changed her mind and contact Studio Ghibli, but by then
      Miyazaki, who keeps talking about how he's going to retire, wasn't
      interested in doing it himself. Too bad; a missed opportunity.
      The film won't be out over here until 2009 at the earliest, but
      yesterday I saw an elaborate artbook at an import store, and what I
      suspect is a "making of" book (neither of which I could examine
      because they were shrinkwrapped).
      Also recently heard the cd-single of the theme song, which I found
      hauntingly beautiful.

      --JDR

    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
        >The "Tales of Earthsea" movie is now out in Japan and doing very
        >well, although reviews are apparently mixed. The general consensus
        >seems to be that it's very pretty but that as a director Miyazaki Jr.
        >is no Miyazaki. ...
        > The film won't be out over here until 2009 at the earliest....
        >Also recently heard the cd-single of the theme song, which I found
        >hauntingly beautiful.

        Thanks for the info, John. I'm a big Miyazaki (Sr.) fan myself, and I'm very much looking forward to this, even with the lukewarm reviews.

        David Emerson

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • Diane Joy Baker
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
          Thanks for the information, Olaf.

          GRRM is also a gamer (heh, heh!) I also saw the Game book for the d20 RPG
          system, though didn't dare pick it up; I'm afraid it would stick to my
          hands, and I'd leave the store with it, after it made a considerable hole in
          my budget. Hard enough putting down the book on the artwork. (PB of # 4
          coming out; alas, I really preferred the covers on the earlier editions.
          Much richer.) ---djb

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
            Diane Joy Baker wrote,

            >GRRM is also a gamer (heh, heh!)

            That would explain a lot about his fiction.