Re: Art book on George R. R. Martin

  • Olaf Keith
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
      A lot of the artwork in the book comes from the Collectible Card Game
      A GAME OF THRONES which is published by Fantasy Flight Games. So,
      there are literally hundreds of paintings about Martin's world. There
      is some outstanding art in this book (amongst others the pieces by
      Michael Kormack or John Howe), but there is also some quite dreadful
      artwork in there.

      Next year there will even be a calendar with ASOIAF artwork produced
      by FFG and there will also be a Companion book to the world coming
      from Bantam some time after A DANCE WITH DRAGONS is out (written by
      Martin and two of his most faithful fans who also run the westeros.org
      website).

      Martin also has a new children's book out now called THE ICE DRAGON
      with beautiful illustrations by Yvonne Gilbert.

      Olaf
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
        The "Tales of Earthsea" movie is now out in Japan and doing very
        well, although reviews are apparently mixed. The general consensus
        seems to be that it's very pretty but that as a director Miyazaki Jr.
        is no Miyazaki. The newest issue of Anime Insider magazine (#37, Oct.
        2007, pages 10-11) mentions Le Guin's disappointment in the results
        (although she admits it's better than that Sci-Fi Channel horror) and
        includes some interesting background. Turns out Miyazaki himself
        approached her some twenty years ago about making an Earthsea film
        and she turned him down, having never heard of him at the time. A few
        years ago she changed her mind and contact Studio Ghibli, but by then
        Miyazaki, who keeps talking about how he's going to retire, wasn't
        interested in doing it himself. Too bad; a missed opportunity.
        The film won't be out over here until 2009 at the earliest, but
        yesterday I saw an elaborate artbook at an import store, and what I
        suspect is a "making of" book (neither of which I could examine
        because they were shrinkwrapped).
        Also recently heard the cd-single of the theme song, which I found
        hauntingly beautiful.

        --JDR

      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
          >The "Tales of Earthsea" movie is now out in Japan and doing very
          >well, although reviews are apparently mixed. The general consensus
          >seems to be that it's very pretty but that as a director Miyazaki Jr.
          >is no Miyazaki. ...
          > The film won't be out over here until 2009 at the earliest....
          >Also recently heard the cd-single of the theme song, which I found
          >hauntingly beautiful.

          Thanks for the info, John. I'm a big Miyazaki (Sr.) fan myself, and I'm very much looking forward to this, even with the lukewarm reviews.

          David Emerson

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • Diane Joy Baker
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
            Thanks for the information, Olaf.

            GRRM is also a gamer (heh, heh!) I also saw the Game book for the d20 RPG
            system, though didn't dare pick it up; I'm afraid it would stick to my
            hands, and I'd leave the store with it, after it made a considerable hole in
            my budget. Hard enough putting down the book on the artwork. (PB of # 4
            coming out; alas, I really preferred the covers on the earlier editions.
            Much richer.) ---djb

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
              Diane Joy Baker wrote,

              >GRRM is also a gamer (heh, heh!)

              That would explain a lot about his fiction.