Re: [mythsoc] Art book on George R. R. Martin

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
      From: dianejoy@...
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 10:22 PM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Art book on George R. R. Martin

      Browsing at Joseph Beth today and found a *yummy* book of paintings based on
      Martin's *Song of Ice and Fire.* Some really lovely pieces. Found one by
      Ted Naismith, and there might be more. I didn't look at every page. I'll
      have to either (1) hint to friends for Christmas, or (2) buy it outright. I
      recommend it highly; at least take a gander. ---djb

      <<
      Yes, I saw it at a bookstore. It's amazing how many artists have already been inspired by this work
      (and given it so many interpretations), and how high the quality of so much of it is.
      Alexei
    • Olaf Keith
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
        A lot of the artwork in the book comes from the Collectible Card Game
        A GAME OF THRONES which is published by Fantasy Flight Games. So,
        there are literally hundreds of paintings about Martin's world. There
        is some outstanding art in this book (amongst others the pieces by
        Michael Kormack or John Howe), but there is also some quite dreadful
        artwork in there.

        Next year there will even be a calendar with ASOIAF artwork produced
        by FFG and there will also be a Companion book to the world coming
        from Bantam some time after A DANCE WITH DRAGONS is out (written by
        Martin and two of his most faithful fans who also run the westeros.org
        website).

        Martin also has a new children's book out now called THE ICE DRAGON
        with beautiful illustrations by Yvonne Gilbert.

        Olaf
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
          The "Tales of Earthsea" movie is now out in Japan and doing very
          well, although reviews are apparently mixed. The general consensus
          seems to be that it's very pretty but that as a director Miyazaki Jr.
          is no Miyazaki. The newest issue of Anime Insider magazine (#37, Oct.
          2007, pages 10-11) mentions Le Guin's disappointment in the results
          (although she admits it's better than that Sci-Fi Channel horror) and
          includes some interesting background. Turns out Miyazaki himself
          approached her some twenty years ago about making an Earthsea film
          and she turned him down, having never heard of him at the time. A few
          years ago she changed her mind and contact Studio Ghibli, but by then
          Miyazaki, who keeps talking about how he's going to retire, wasn't
          interested in doing it himself. Too bad; a missed opportunity.
          The film won't be out over here until 2009 at the earliest, but
          yesterday I saw an elaborate artbook at an import store, and what I
          suspect is a "making of" book (neither of which I could examine
          because they were shrinkwrapped).
          Also recently heard the cd-single of the theme song, which I found
          hauntingly beautiful.

          --JDR

        • David Emerson
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
            >The "Tales of Earthsea" movie is now out in Japan and doing very
            >well, although reviews are apparently mixed. The general consensus
            >seems to be that it's very pretty but that as a director Miyazaki Jr.
            >is no Miyazaki. ...
            > The film won't be out over here until 2009 at the earliest....
            >Also recently heard the cd-single of the theme song, which I found
            >hauntingly beautiful.

            Thanks for the info, John. I'm a big Miyazaki (Sr.) fan myself, and I'm very much looking forward to this, even with the lukewarm reviews.

            David Emerson

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com
          • Diane Joy Baker
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
              Thanks for the information, Olaf.

              GRRM is also a gamer (heh, heh!) I also saw the Game book for the d20 RPG
              system, though didn't dare pick it up; I'm afraid it would stick to my
              hands, and I'd leave the store with it, after it made a considerable hole in
              my budget. Hard enough putting down the book on the artwork. (PB of # 4
              coming out; alas, I really preferred the covers on the earlier editions.
              Much richer.) ---djb

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
                Diane Joy Baker wrote,

                >GRRM is also a gamer (heh, heh!)

                That would explain a lot about his fiction.