Re: [mythsoc] Art book on George R. R. Martin

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 9, 2006
      Browsing at Joseph Beth today and found a *yummy* book of paintings based on
      Martin's *Song of Ice and Fire.* Some really lovely pieces. Found one by
      Ted Naismith, and there might be more. I didn't look at every page. I'll
      have to either (1) hint to friends for Christmas, or (2) buy it outright. I
      recommend it highly; at least take a gander. ---djb

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
          A lot of the artwork in the book comes from the Collectible Card Game
          A GAME OF THRONES which is published by Fantasy Flight Games. So,
          there are literally hundreds of paintings about Martin's world. There
          is some outstanding art in this book (amongst others the pieces by
          Michael Kormack or John Howe), but there is also some quite dreadful
          artwork in there.

          Next year there will even be a calendar with ASOIAF artwork produced
          by FFG and there will also be a Companion book to the world coming
          from Bantam some time after A DANCE WITH DRAGONS is out (written by
          Martin and two of his most faithful fans who also run the westeros.org
          website).

          Martin also has a new children's book out now called THE ICE DRAGON
          with beautiful illustrations by Yvonne Gilbert.

          Olaf
        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
            The "Tales of Earthsea" movie is now out in Japan and doing very
            well, although reviews are apparently mixed. The general consensus
            seems to be that it's very pretty but that as a director Miyazaki Jr.
            is no Miyazaki. The newest issue of Anime Insider magazine (#37, Oct.
            2007, pages 10-11) mentions Le Guin's disappointment in the results
            (although she admits it's better than that Sci-Fi Channel horror) and
            includes some interesting background. Turns out Miyazaki himself
            approached her some twenty years ago about making an Earthsea film
            and she turned him down, having never heard of him at the time. A few
            years ago she changed her mind and contact Studio Ghibli, but by then
            Miyazaki, who keeps talking about how he's going to retire, wasn't
            interested in doing it himself. Too bad; a missed opportunity.
            The film won't be out over here until 2009 at the earliest, but
            yesterday I saw an elaborate artbook at an import store, and what I
            suspect is a "making of" book (neither of which I could examine
            because they were shrinkwrapped).
            Also recently heard the cd-single of the theme song, which I found
            hauntingly beautiful.

            --JDR

          • David Emerson
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 10, 2006
              >The "Tales of Earthsea" movie is now out in Japan and doing very
              >well, although reviews are apparently mixed. The general consensus
              >seems to be that it's very pretty but that as a director Miyazaki Jr.
              >is no Miyazaki. ...
              > The film won't be out over here until 2009 at the earliest....
              >Also recently heard the cd-single of the theme song, which I found
              >hauntingly beautiful.

              Thanks for the info, John. I'm a big Miyazaki (Sr.) fan myself, and I'm very much looking forward to this, even with the lukewarm reviews.

              David Emerson

              PeoplePC Online
              A better way to Internet
              http://www.peoplepc.com
            • Diane Joy Baker
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
                Thanks for the information, Olaf.

                GRRM is also a gamer (heh, heh!) I also saw the Game book for the d20 RPG
                system, though didn't dare pick it up; I'm afraid it would stick to my
                hands, and I'd leave the store with it, after it made a considerable hole in
                my budget. Hard enough putting down the book on the artwork. (PB of # 4
                coming out; alas, I really preferred the covers on the earlier editions.
                Much richer.) ---djb

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 11, 2006
                  Diane Joy Baker wrote,

                  >GRRM is also a gamer (heh, heh!)

                  That would explain a lot about his fiction.