Re: [mythsoc] Opinions on British books (was: "The Company They Keep")

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2006
      > yesterday I preordered the new HURIN book
      > [from amazon.co.uk]

      Speaking of this, but a bit off the subject, I've been waffling on whether to order the British CoH or wait for the American edition from Houghton Mifflin. For that matter, ditto on your book, John. In general, I've not been happy with the quality of British-made books since, oh say, before about 1975. Since then, they are usually just terrible, falling apart almost before your very eyes. For example, I got the British edition of Verlyn's extended edition of "Smith of Wootton Major" (I had no choice, since it's apparently not available in the US), and it is so poorly and cheaply produced that I found myself snorting in disgust just at the sight of it. The paper is like stiff and smudgy newsprint and the binding is glued, for heaven's sake! It's hard to see it surviving more than a couple of readings -- and I'm extremely careful with all of my books. When a book cracks and groans under the stress of simply opening the cover, one has reason to worry, I think. And even if it lasts more than a few readings, it's hardly a pleasure handling its pages.

      I'm not the first person -- and surely won't be the last -- to comment on this problem. For example, see http://www.slate.com/id/2079769/.

      So -- does anybody have any opinions on what the quality of the British "Children of Hurin" and "History of the Hobbit" are going to be like? Should I just wait for the American editions, as I suspect?