Re: [mythsoc] Having ...

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
      >... Only
      >now realized, thanks to re-reading Doug's ANNOTATED HOBBIT wh. was
      >jogged by reading Wayne & Christina's COMPANION, that the Jungfraujoch
      >apparently inspired Tolkien's Caradhras, Celebdil, &c. Had we known
      >that, we'd have scoured the mountainsides for traces of Balrog remains
      >during 2005 venture to the top.

      You wouldn't find any. After Schleemann's expedition in 1896, they were all removed to the British Museum. I understand the lawsuit brought by the Swiss government is entering its seventh decade.

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • mafoster@hughes.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
        Blast! I should've known that! Wikipedia again? A very interesting
        piece there recently on how much Tolkien's THE HOBBIT was influenced by
        the CHRONICLES OF NARNIA and how much, in turn, J.M. Barrie's PETER PAN
        borrowed from both THE HOBBIT and Lewis' MAIN STREET.

        MAF
      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
          Oh my gosh, really? Although I shouldn't be surprised. I got a paper
          once on how Beowulf influenced Shakespeare...so it isn't enough to just
          howl "CHECK THE DATE IT WAS WRITTEN," you also have to say "CHECK THE
          PUBLICATION DATE!"

          Janet

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 6, 2006
            Huh, and all this time I thought it was Rawling....