"The Company They Keep"

  • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
      --- Original Message ---
      From: John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...>
      Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 21:39:15 -0700

      > Interesting--a few days ago I received a v. nice postcard advertising
      > the forthcoming release of Diana Pavlac Glyer's long-awaited book on
      > the Inklings as a writers' group. Has anyone else received one of
      > these? I'd already pre-ordered, but wondered if this was now a
      > standard practice and if so which list I'd gotten on: mythsoc, Beyond
      > Bree, amazon, or other.

      I got a postcard, also, and the form of the address tells me it came from
      Mything Persons.

      When I was a Steward, there was a discussion about people using the Mythopoeic
      Society's directory as a mailing list. The consensus was that we could not
      prevent any party from taking Mything Persons, copying the addresses there,
      and sending a mailing, which is what seems to have been done in this case.

      Joan
    • Lynn Maudlin
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
        Diana Glyer's excellent book, THE COMPANY THEY KEEP, has been chosen
        as part of the YBP's Core 1000 (second quarter 2007). Libraries are no
        doubt familiar with the Yankee Book Peddlers but, for those of us who
        are not:

        "YBP Library Services is pleased to make available the YBP CORE 1000.
        YBP has developed, designed and implemented this service to aid
        academic libraries in assessing current collections and to allow
        smaller academic libraries the opportunity to benefit from
        participation with a seasoned vendor in collection development.

        "Each quarter year YBP will release a segment of the Core 1000 list
        that will include 250 titles. The Profiling Bibliographers at YBP
        select these titles for inclusion on the list. The selection process
        is complex. The profiling unit, which describes each title
        book-in-hand, will maintain lists of titles each quarter within the
        subject matter specialty assigned to that Profiler. Thereafter, the
        titles selected are carefully screened to identify major titles that
        will stand the test of time and be expected to be contained within
        good collections. The four quarterly lists of 250 titles will be
        combined in February and form the Core 1000 for that year.

        "Each year over 50,000 new titles are published that have relevance to
        the academic market. The YBP Core 1000 list is a valuable tool in
        assuring that essential titles are added to the collections. The
        skill, judgment, knowledge and experience of YBP's profiling
        bibliographers are the foundation upon which the Core 1000 is built.
        Thus, the intellectual honesty in describing titles, a proud YBP
        hallmark, will remain and neither publishers nor trends will influence
        the selection of titles for the benefit of academic libraries."
        http://www.ybp.com/acad/Core1000Cover.htm

        This is an excellent book - y'all should read it!
        -- Lynn --
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
          Excellent news! Congratulations to Diana (and also to David, Who
          Helped).
          --JDR

          On Sep 11, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Lynn Maudlin wrote:
          > Diana Glyer's excellent book, THE COMPANY THEY KEEP, has been chosen
          > as part of the YBP's Core 1000 (second quarter 2007). Libraries are no
          > doubt familiar with the Yankee Book Peddlers but, for those of us who
          > are not:
          >
          > "YBP Library Services is pleased to make available the YBP CORE 1000.
          > YBP has developed, designed and implemented this service to aid
          > academic libraries in assessing current collections and to allow
          > smaller academic libraries the opportunity to benefit from
          > participation with a seasoned vendor in collection development.
          >
          > "Each quarter year YBP will release a segment of the Core 1000 list
          > that will include 250 titles. The Profiling Bibliographers at YBP
          > select these titles for inclusion on the list. The selection process
          > is complex. The profiling unit, which describes each title
          > book-in-hand, will maintain lists of titles each quarter within the
          > subject matter specialty assigned to that Profiler. Thereafter, the
          > titles selected are carefully screened to identify major titles that
          > will stand the test of time and be expected to be contained within
          > good collections. The four quarterly lists of 250 titles will be
          > combined in February and form the Core 1000 for that year.
          >
          > "Each year over 50,000 new titles are published that have relevance to
          > the academic market. The YBP Core 1000 list is a valuable tool in
          > assuring that essential titles are added to the collections. The
          > skill, judgment, knowledge and experience of YBP's profiling
          > bibliographers are the foundation upon which the Core 1000 is built.
          > Thus, the intellectual honesty in describing titles, a proud YBP
          > hallmark, will remain and neither publishers nor trends will influence
          > the selection of titles for the benefit of academic libraries."
          > http://www.ybp.com/acad/Core1000Cover.htm
        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
            Cheers indeed, not to mention kudos as well.

            Mike

            Excellent news! Congratulations to Diana (and also to David, Who
            Helped).
            --JDR

            On Sep 11, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Lynn Maudlin wrote:
            > Diana Glyer's excellent book, THE COMPANY THEY KEEP, has been chosen
            > as part of the YBP's Core 1000 (second quarter 2007). Libraries are no
            > doubt familiar with the Yankee Book Peddlers but, for those of us who
            > are not:
            >
            > "YBP Library Services is pleased to make available the YBP CORE 1000.
            > YBP has developed, designed and implemented this service to aid
            > academic libraries in assessing current collections and to allow
            > smaller academic libraries the opportunity to benefit from
            > participation with a seasoned vendor in collection development.
            >
            > "Each quarter year YBP will release a segment of the Core 1000 list
            > that will include 250 titles. The Profiling Bibliographers at YBP
            > select these titles for inclusion on the list. The selection process
            > is complex. The profiling unit, which describes each title
            > book-in-hand, will maintain lists of titles each quarter within the
            > subject matter specialty assigned to that Profiler. Thereafter, the
            > titles selected are carefully screened to identify major titles that
            > will stand the test of time and be expected to be contained within
            > good collections. The four quarterly lists of 250 titles will be
            > combined in February and form the Core 1000 for that year.
            >
            > "Each year over 50,000 new titles are published that have relevance to
            > the academic market. The YBP Core 1000 list is a valuable tool in
            > assuring that essential titles are added to the collections. The
            > skill, judgment, knowledge and experience of YBP's profiling
            > bibliographers are the foundation upon which the Core 1000 is built.
            > Thus, the intellectual honesty in describing titles, a proud YBP
            > hallmark, will remain and neither publishers nor trends will influence
            > the selection of titles for the benefit of academic libraries."
            > http://www.ybp <http://www.ybp.com/acad/Core1000Cover.htm>
            com/acad/Core1000Cover.htm

          • Doug Kane
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
              Congratulations to Diana! That's definitely wonderful news.

            • David Emerson
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 12, 2007
                Yay, Diana!!!!

                >Diana Glyer's excellent book, THE COMPANY THEY KEEP, has been chosen
                >as part of the YBP's Core 1000 (second quarter 2007).

                emerdavid

                PeoplePC Online
                A better way to Internet
                http://www.peoplepc.com