Re: [mythsoc] "The Company They Keep"

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
      >Interesting--a few days ago I received a v. nice postcard advertising
      >the forthcoming release of Diana Pavlac Glyer's long-awaited book on
      >the Inklings as a writers' group. Has anyone else received one of
      >these?

      She was passing them out at Mythcon this year. She read an out-take from the book as a paper, and it was well-received. I am very much looking forward to the book.

      >"This extraordinary chalk figure . . . was carved into the turf about
      >3000 years ago . . . What exactly it is supposed to represent remains
      >anyone's guess. The most accepted legend claims that King Alfred cut
      >the figure to celebrate his victory over the Danes . . . in 871." --
      >Lonely Planet guide: ENGLAND, chronologically challenged entry on The
      >White Horse of Uffington (page 402).

      Reminiscent of the ONION article about "Wikipedia celebrates 500th anniversary of Declaration of Independence." ;-)

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
          Diana Glyer's excellent book, THE COMPANY THEY KEEP, has been chosen
          as part of the YBP's Core 1000 (second quarter 2007). Libraries are no
          doubt familiar with the Yankee Book Peddlers but, for those of us who
          are not:

          "YBP Library Services is pleased to make available the YBP CORE 1000.
          YBP has developed, designed and implemented this service to aid
          academic libraries in assessing current collections and to allow
          smaller academic libraries the opportunity to benefit from
          participation with a seasoned vendor in collection development.

          "Each quarter year YBP will release a segment of the Core 1000 list
          that will include 250 titles. The Profiling Bibliographers at YBP
          select these titles for inclusion on the list. The selection process
          is complex. The profiling unit, which describes each title
          book-in-hand, will maintain lists of titles each quarter within the
          subject matter specialty assigned to that Profiler. Thereafter, the
          titles selected are carefully screened to identify major titles that
          will stand the test of time and be expected to be contained within
          good collections. The four quarterly lists of 250 titles will be
          combined in February and form the Core 1000 for that year.

          "Each year over 50,000 new titles are published that have relevance to
          the academic market. The YBP Core 1000 list is a valuable tool in
          assuring that essential titles are added to the collections. The
          skill, judgment, knowledge and experience of YBP's profiling
          bibliographers are the foundation upon which the Core 1000 is built.
          Thus, the intellectual honesty in describing titles, a proud YBP
          hallmark, will remain and neither publishers nor trends will influence
          the selection of titles for the benefit of academic libraries."
          http://www.ybp.com/acad/Core1000Cover.htm

          This is an excellent book - y'all should read it!
          -- Lynn --
        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
            Excellent news! Congratulations to Diana (and also to David, Who
            Helped).
            --JDR

            On Sep 11, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Lynn Maudlin wrote:
            > Diana Glyer's excellent book, THE COMPANY THEY KEEP, has been chosen
            > as part of the YBP's Core 1000 (second quarter 2007). Libraries are no
            > doubt familiar with the Yankee Book Peddlers but, for those of us who
            > are not:
            >
            > "YBP Library Services is pleased to make available the YBP CORE 1000.
            > YBP has developed, designed and implemented this service to aid
            > academic libraries in assessing current collections and to allow
            > smaller academic libraries the opportunity to benefit from
            > participation with a seasoned vendor in collection development.
            >
            > "Each quarter year YBP will release a segment of the Core 1000 list
            > that will include 250 titles. The Profiling Bibliographers at YBP
            > select these titles for inclusion on the list. The selection process
            > is complex. The profiling unit, which describes each title
            > book-in-hand, will maintain lists of titles each quarter within the
            > subject matter specialty assigned to that Profiler. Thereafter, the
            > titles selected are carefully screened to identify major titles that
            > will stand the test of time and be expected to be contained within
            > good collections. The four quarterly lists of 250 titles will be
            > combined in February and form the Core 1000 for that year.
            >
            > "Each year over 50,000 new titles are published that have relevance to
            > the academic market. The YBP Core 1000 list is a valuable tool in
            > assuring that essential titles are added to the collections. The
            > skill, judgment, knowledge and experience of YBP's profiling
            > bibliographers are the foundation upon which the Core 1000 is built.
            > Thus, the intellectual honesty in describing titles, a proud YBP
            > hallmark, will remain and neither publishers nor trends will influence
            > the selection of titles for the benefit of academic libraries."
            > http://www.ybp.com/acad/Core1000Cover.htm
          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
              Cheers indeed, not to mention kudos as well.

              Mike

              Excellent news! Congratulations to Diana (and also to David, Who
              Helped).
              --JDR

              On Sep 11, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Lynn Maudlin wrote:
              > Diana Glyer's excellent book, THE COMPANY THEY KEEP, has been chosen
              > as part of the YBP's Core 1000 (second quarter 2007). Libraries are no
              > doubt familiar with the Yankee Book Peddlers but, for those of us who
              > are not:
              >
              > "YBP Library Services is pleased to make available the YBP CORE 1000.
              > YBP has developed, designed and implemented this service to aid
              > academic libraries in assessing current collections and to allow
              > smaller academic libraries the opportunity to benefit from
              > participation with a seasoned vendor in collection development.
              >
              > "Each quarter year YBP will release a segment of the Core 1000 list
              > that will include 250 titles. The Profiling Bibliographers at YBP
              > select these titles for inclusion on the list. The selection process
              > is complex. The profiling unit, which describes each title
              > book-in-hand, will maintain lists of titles each quarter within the
              > subject matter specialty assigned to that Profiler. Thereafter, the
              > titles selected are carefully screened to identify major titles that
              > will stand the test of time and be expected to be contained within
              > good collections. The four quarterly lists of 250 titles will be
              > combined in February and form the Core 1000 for that year.
              >
              > "Each year over 50,000 new titles are published that have relevance to
              > the academic market. The YBP Core 1000 list is a valuable tool in
              > assuring that essential titles are added to the collections. The
              > skill, judgment, knowledge and experience of YBP's profiling
              > bibliographers are the foundation upon which the Core 1000 is built.
              > Thus, the intellectual honesty in describing titles, a proud YBP
              > hallmark, will remain and neither publishers nor trends will influence
              > the selection of titles for the benefit of academic libraries."
              > http://www.ybp <http://www.ybp.com/acad/Core1000Cover.htm>
              com/acad/Core1000Cover.htm

            • Doug Kane
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
                Congratulations to Diana! That's definitely wonderful news.

              • David Emerson
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 12, 2007
                  Yay, Diana!!!!