Re: [mythsoc] Having Glen attending '07 con

  • mafoster@hughes.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2006
      Re: David's remark in conclusion, just Monday past I had to say to a
      Bradley student, "That happened in the movie you saw, not the book we
      are discussing." But beyond a doubt, the movie brought many new
      readers to Tolkien, and that is largely a Good Thing.

      I'm writing this from Hermance, Switzerland, in between cooing at our
      new grand-daughter & making up Beatle parodies to lullaby her. Only
      now realized, thanks to re-reading Doug's ANNOTATED HOBBIT wh. was
      jogged by reading Wayne & Christina's COMPANION, that the Jungfraujoch
      apparently inspired Tolkien's Caradhras, Celebdil, &c. Had we known
      that, we'd have scoured the mountainsides for traces of Balrog remains
      during 2005 venture to the top. Didn't notice any tie-ins in the
      souvenir shops there. And that;'s a Good Thing, too.

      Cheeers,
      Mike