"The Company They Keep"

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
      Interesting--a few days ago I received a v. nice postcard advertising
      the forthcoming release of Diana Pavlac Glyer's long-awaited book on
      the Inklings as a writers' group. Has anyone else received one of
      these? I'd already pre-ordered, but wondered if this was now a
      standard practice and if so which list I'd gotten on: mythsoc, Beyond
      Bree, amazon, or other.
      More bizarrely, amazon.co.uk sent me e-mail messages suggesting
      someone with my interests might want to pre-order Wayne & Christina's
      new book(s). This is only odd because I DO have them pre-ordered, and
      from amazon.co.uk. Does the left hand not know what the right hand is
      doing, or what?
      Most amusingly of all, yesterday I preordered the new HURIN book
      and the website helpfully suggested that if I liked that I might want
      to check out a little something called THE HISTORY OF THE HOBBIT . . .

      --JDR

      "This extraordinary chalk figure . . . was carved into the turf about
      3000 years ago . . . What exactly it is supposed to represent remains
      anyone's guess. The most accepted legend claims that King Alfred cut
      the figure to celebrate his victory over the Danes . . . in 871." --
      Lonely Planet guide: ENGLAND, chronologically challenged entry on The
      White Horse of Uffington (page 402).
    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
        >Interesting--a few days ago I received a v. nice postcard advertising
        >the forthcoming release of Diana Pavlac Glyer's long-awaited book on
        >the Inklings as a writers' group. Has anyone else received one of
        >these?

        She was passing them out at Mythcon this year. She read an out-take from the book as a paper, and it was well-received. I am very much looking forward to the book.

        >"This extraordinary chalk figure . . . was carved into the turf about
        >3000 years ago . . . What exactly it is supposed to represent remains
        >anyone's guess. The most accepted legend claims that King Alfred cut
        >the figure to celebrate his victory over the Danes . . . in 871." --
        >Lonely Planet guide: ENGLAND, chronologically challenged entry on The
        >White Horse of Uffington (page 402).

        Reminiscent of the ONION article about "Wikipedia celebrates 500th anniversary of Declaration of Independence." ;-)

        emerdavid

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
            Diana Glyer's excellent book, THE COMPANY THEY KEEP, has been chosen
            as part of the YBP's Core 1000 (second quarter 2007). Libraries are no
            doubt familiar with the Yankee Book Peddlers but, for those of us who
            are not:

            "YBP Library Services is pleased to make available the YBP CORE 1000.
            YBP has developed, designed and implemented this service to aid
            academic libraries in assessing current collections and to allow
            smaller academic libraries the opportunity to benefit from
            participation with a seasoned vendor in collection development.

            "Each quarter year YBP will release a segment of the Core 1000 list
            that will include 250 titles. The Profiling Bibliographers at YBP
            select these titles for inclusion on the list. The selection process
            is complex. The profiling unit, which describes each title
            book-in-hand, will maintain lists of titles each quarter within the
            subject matter specialty assigned to that Profiler. Thereafter, the
            titles selected are carefully screened to identify major titles that
            will stand the test of time and be expected to be contained within
            good collections. The four quarterly lists of 250 titles will be
            combined in February and form the Core 1000 for that year.

            "Each year over 50,000 new titles are published that have relevance to
            the academic market. The YBP Core 1000 list is a valuable tool in
            assuring that essential titles are added to the collections. The
            skill, judgment, knowledge and experience of YBP's profiling
            bibliographers are the foundation upon which the Core 1000 is built.
            Thus, the intellectual honesty in describing titles, a proud YBP
            hallmark, will remain and neither publishers nor trends will influence
            the selection of titles for the benefit of academic libraries."
            http://www.ybp.com/acad/Core1000Cover.htm

            This is an excellent book - y'all should read it!
            -- Lynn --
          • John D Rateliff
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
              Excellent news! Congratulations to Diana (and also to David, Who
              Helped).
              --JDR

              On Sep 11, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Lynn Maudlin wrote:
              > Diana Glyer's excellent book, THE COMPANY THEY KEEP, has been chosen
              > as part of the YBP's Core 1000 (second quarter 2007). Libraries are no
              > doubt familiar with the Yankee Book Peddlers but, for those of us who
              > are not:
              >
              > "YBP Library Services is pleased to make available the YBP CORE 1000.
              > YBP has developed, designed and implemented this service to aid
              > academic libraries in assessing current collections and to allow
              > smaller academic libraries the opportunity to benefit from
              > participation with a seasoned vendor in collection development.
              >
              > "Each quarter year YBP will release a segment of the Core 1000 list
              > that will include 250 titles. The Profiling Bibliographers at YBP
              > select these titles for inclusion on the list. The selection process
              > is complex. The profiling unit, which describes each title
              > book-in-hand, will maintain lists of titles each quarter within the
              > subject matter specialty assigned to that Profiler. Thereafter, the
              > titles selected are carefully screened to identify major titles that
              > will stand the test of time and be expected to be contained within
              > good collections. The four quarterly lists of 250 titles will be
              > combined in February and form the Core 1000 for that year.
              >
              > "Each year over 50,000 new titles are published that have relevance to
              > the academic market. The YBP Core 1000 list is a valuable tool in
              > assuring that essential titles are added to the collections. The
              > skill, judgment, knowledge and experience of YBP's profiling
              > bibliographers are the foundation upon which the Core 1000 is built.
              > Thus, the intellectual honesty in describing titles, a proud YBP
              > hallmark, will remain and neither publishers nor trends will influence
              > the selection of titles for the benefit of academic libraries."
              > http://www.ybp.com/acad/Core1000Cover.htm
            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
                Cheers indeed, not to mention kudos as well.

                Mike

                Excellent news! Congratulations to Diana (and also to David, Who
                Helped).
                --JDR

                On Sep 11, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Lynn Maudlin wrote:
                > Diana Glyer's excellent book, THE COMPANY THEY KEEP, has been chosen
                > as part of the YBP's Core 1000 (second quarter 2007). Libraries are no
                > doubt familiar with the Yankee Book Peddlers but, for those of us who
                > are not:
                >
                > "YBP Library Services is pleased to make available the YBP CORE 1000.
                > YBP has developed, designed and implemented this service to aid
                > academic libraries in assessing current collections and to allow
                > smaller academic libraries the opportunity to benefit from
                > participation with a seasoned vendor in collection development.
                >
                > "Each quarter year YBP will release a segment of the Core 1000 list
                > that will include 250 titles. The Profiling Bibliographers at YBP
                > select these titles for inclusion on the list. The selection process
                > is complex. The profiling unit, which describes each title
                > book-in-hand, will maintain lists of titles each quarter within the
                > subject matter specialty assigned to that Profiler. Thereafter, the
                > titles selected are carefully screened to identify major titles that
                > will stand the test of time and be expected to be contained within
                > good collections. The four quarterly lists of 250 titles will be
                > combined in February and form the Core 1000 for that year.
                >
                > "Each year over 50,000 new titles are published that have relevance to
                > the academic market. The YBP Core 1000 list is a valuable tool in
                > assuring that essential titles are added to the collections. The
                > skill, judgment, knowledge and experience of YBP's profiling
                > bibliographers are the foundation upon which the Core 1000 is built.
                > Thus, the intellectual honesty in describing titles, a proud YBP
                > hallmark, will remain and neither publishers nor trends will influence
                > the selection of titles for the benefit of academic libraries."
                > http://www.ybp <http://www.ybp.com/acad/Core1000Cover.htm>
                com/acad/Core1000Cover.htm

              • Doug Kane
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
                  Congratulations to Diana! That's definitely wonderful news.

                • David Emerson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 12, 2007
                    Yay, Diana!!!!