re. Unfact

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2006
      Thanks for the links and responses, all. I was aware of the Nodens
      temple, having done a fair amount of research on this already for an
      as-yet-unfinished article (besides which Mathew Lyons devotes a
      chapter to it, while he only mentions the Forest of Dean in passing).
      I know there was a sort of places-that-supposedly-inspired-Tolkien
      calendar in the UK a year or two back which I never could get ahold
      of; suspect it's the immediate source of the misinformation.
      Re. the linked article, I actually think Tolkien's knowledge of
      contemporary archeological thinking and discoveries was v. good, as I
      think was first argued by Christina Scull in her article "The
      Influence of Archeology and History on Tolkien's World".
      --JDR