Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 2300

  • Michael Cunningham
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2006
      This is a list for the Mythopoeic Society, an international literary and
      educational organization devoted to the study, discussIn discussion of
      Tolkien's involvement at Lydney Park the attached link to British
      Archaeology magazine briefly metions his essay on the voitive tablet.

      http://www.britarch.ac.uk/ba/ba65/feat4.shtml

      I would imagine any prolonged interpretation would have taken place after
      removal of the piece from its matrix and, possibly, following cleaning and
      conservation. Nothing in the excavation report, I can find, alludes to
      Tolkien's presence at the site.

      Michael.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2006
        Thanks for the links and responses, all. I was aware of the Nodens
        temple, having done a fair amount of research on this already for an
        as-yet-unfinished article (besides which Mathew Lyons devotes a
        chapter to it, while he only mentions the Forest of Dean in passing).
        I know there was a sort of places-that-supposedly-inspired-Tolkien
        calendar in the UK a year or two back which I never could get ahold
        of; suspect it's the immediate source of the misinformation.
        Re. the linked article, I actually think Tolkien's knowledge of
        contemporary archeological thinking and discoveries was v. good, as I
        think was first argued by Christina Scull in her article "The
        Influence of Archeology and History on Tolkien's World".
        --JDR