Re: [mythsoc] Unfact #1

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
      WendellWag@... wrote:

      > Here's a website that claims that Tolkien wrote a chapter in a book about an
      > archeological site in the Forest of Dean:
      >
      > _http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/films/tolkien.shtml_
      > (http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/films/tolkien.shtml)

      This would presumably be J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Name 'Nodens'",
      Appendix 1 to =Report on the Excavation ... in Lydney Park,
      Gloucestershire=, Reports of the Research Committee of the
      Society of Antiquaries, no. 9 (London: Oxford University Press,
      1932), pp. 132-7. Tom Shippey discusses this piece of
      scholarship in THE ROAD TO MIDDLE-EARTH in the chapter,
      "Philological Inquiries."

      So it would appear to be quite true!

      --Margaret Dean (no relation!)
      <margdean@...>
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
        It's true that Tolkien wrote that article on linguistic evidence regarding an archaeological dig in (or right near, more precisely) the Forest of Dean. That's the only possible connection that came to my mind, too. But I don't recall any evidence that he actually visited the dig itself - he was asked by the archaeologists to write this linguistic analysis - still less that he frequented the Forest of Dean, let alone that it inspired LOTR or, more relevantly, that this rather moth-eaten mining district is at all capable of inspiring the mighty forests of Middle-earth.

        I'm all in favor of traveling Britain and finding landscape that reminds you of Tolkien's work. But looking for the "real spot" that Actually Inspired The Author is, in the case of Middle-earth, a bane upon existence.
      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2006
          Margaret wrote:

          ><mailto:WendellWag%40aol.com>WendellWag<mailto:WendellWag%40aol.com>@...
          >wrote:
          > >
          > > Here's a website that claims that Tolkien wrote a chapter in a book
          > about an
          > > archeological site in the Forest of Dean:
          > >

          > _<http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/films/tolkien.shtml_>http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/films/tolkien.shtml_
          > > (http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/films/tolkien.shtml)
          >
          >This would presumably be J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Name 'Nodens'",
          >Appendix 1 to =Report on the Excavation ... in Lydney Park,
          >Gloucestershire=, Reports of the Research Committee of the
          >Society of Antiquaries, no. 9 (London: Oxford University Press,
          >1932), pp. 132-7. Tom Shippey discusses this piece of
          >scholarship in THE ROAD TO MIDDLE-EARTH in the chapter,
          >"Philological Inquiries."
          >
          >So it would appear to be quite true!

          Although it's true that Tolkien wrote Appendix 1 to the report on the
          excavation at Lydney Park, there's not a shred of evidence that he ever
          visited the site or helped with the study in any other way. The comments
          reported by the BBC are one of many (to say the least) dubious claims to
          Tolkien's presence, or to a source of inspiration for _The Lord of the
          Rings_, that were put forward at the time of the Jackson films.

          Wayne Hammond