RE: [mythsoc] Re: Peter Jackson and The Hobbit

  • Ginger McElwee
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
      It is possible to produce very good and lucrative children's films. If
      Jackson writes a screen play for The Hobbit that doesn't resemble the book,
      it will not be because he is forced to in order to keep the film from
      "tanking." It will be because he wants to create something that The Hobbit
      suggested to him. He does not want to be true to the original story, but
      rather use the original as a starting point for his own creativity. (Too
      bad people like Jackson don't begin creating from scratch. I think he could
      produce something worthy.) I probably wouldn't care under normal
      circumstances, but I become incensed when any movie ruins a book that I
      love. If Jackson (or anybody else) does a film version of The Hobbit, I have
      no doubt it will be a disaster as far as I am concerned. Since The Hobbit
      could well be aimed at children and might produce lots of spin off products,
      it could cause more distortion in a new audience's understanding of Tolkien
      than the LOR movie did. (How many people who grew up after Disney's Winnie
      the Pooh even know there is an original book?)

      Ginger McElwee

      _____

    • aveeris523@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
        In a message dated 10/1/06 6:11:35 AM, keith@... writes:

        > Peter Jackson is not in any way involved in a movie adaptation of THE
        > HOBBIT at the moment. MGM has made an announcement regarding the
        > HOBBIT and Jackson's possible involvement without even contacting him.
        >
        > So he is not actively working on a HOBBIT screenplay but has just been
        > tossing around some idea how it could be done.
        >
        > And he is not suggesting to invent completely new material, but simply
        > enhance the hints that are already there in the HOBBIT. Episodes which
        > Tolkien sketched out later (and which probably can be found in various
        > books edited by Christopher Tolkien) such as the actions of the White
        > Council, hints of the Necromancer and what Gandalf was up to, when he
        > was not with the dwarves and Bilbo. I see nothing wrong with that
        > actually. It is only a movie. And if it is made like that, it may be
        > successful. If they try to maintain the children's book tone of the
        > book, it will tank.
        >
        > There's plenty of back-story in "The Council of Erebor" I read it in The
        Annotated Hobbit, very interesting stuff!

      • aveeris523@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006