Re: Peter Jackson and The Hobbit

  • Olaf Keith
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
      Peter Jackson is not in any way involved in a movie adaptation of THE
      HOBBIT at the moment. MGM has made an announcement regarding the
      HOBBIT and Jackson's possible involvement without even contacting him.

      So he is not actively working on a HOBBIT screenplay but has just been
      tossing around some idea how it could be done.

      And he is not suggesting to invent completely new material, but simply
      enhance the hints that are already there in the HOBBIT. Episodes which
      Tolkien sketched out later (and which probably can be found in various
      books edited by Christopher Tolkien) such as the actions of the White
      Council, hints of the Necromancer and what Gandalf was up to, when he
      was not with the dwarves and Bilbo. I see nothing wrong with that
      actually. It is only a movie. And if it is made like that, it may be
      successfull. If they try to maintain the children's book tone of the
      book, it will tank.

      Olaf

      > For those of you that are gullible enough to still think that Peter
      Jackson
      > has the slightest shred of decency in him, consider the following
      statement
      > about Jackson (from _Entertainment Weekly_, September 29, 2006, page
      17):

      > > . . . Jackson has indeed started thinking about what he might do
      with _The
      > Hobbit_. He's
      > > especially intrigued by the idea of making two films and inventing
      new
      > material to fill in
      > > gaps in the story, since the plot . . . is fairly simplistic
      compared with
      > LOTR.
      >
      > There's no mention of Tolkien after the first paragraph of this
      article.
      > Apparently Tolkien has now reached the status of "Huh, Tolkien?
      He's like the
      > writer of the book, right? He's been dead three decades and his
      family
      > doesn't even own the cinematic rights to the stories, right? Could
      someone please
      > prepare a summary of the plot of the book? I don't have time to
      read an
      > entire book before writing a script."

    • Ginger McElwee
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
        It is possible to produce very good and lucrative children's films. If
        Jackson writes a screen play for The Hobbit that doesn't resemble the book,
        it will not be because he is forced to in order to keep the film from
        "tanking." It will be because he wants to create something that The Hobbit
        suggested to him. He does not want to be true to the original story, but
        rather use the original as a starting point for his own creativity. (Too
        bad people like Jackson don't begin creating from scratch. I think he could
        produce something worthy.) I probably wouldn't care under normal
        circumstances, but I become incensed when any movie ruins a book that I
        love. If Jackson (or anybody else) does a film version of The Hobbit, I have
        no doubt it will be a disaster as far as I am concerned. Since The Hobbit
        could well be aimed at children and might produce lots of spin off products,
        it could cause more distortion in a new audience's understanding of Tolkien
        than the LOR movie did. (How many people who grew up after Disney's Winnie
        the Pooh even know there is an original book?)

        Ginger McElwee

        _____

      • aveeris523@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
          In a message dated 10/1/06 6:11:35 AM, keith@... writes:

          > Peter Jackson is not in any way involved in a movie adaptation of THE
          > HOBBIT at the moment. MGM has made an announcement regarding the
          > HOBBIT and Jackson's possible involvement without even contacting him.
          >
          > So he is not actively working on a HOBBIT screenplay but has just been
          > tossing around some idea how it could be done.
          >
          > And he is not suggesting to invent completely new material, but simply
          > enhance the hints that are already there in the HOBBIT. Episodes which
          > Tolkien sketched out later (and which probably can be found in various
          > books edited by Christopher Tolkien) such as the actions of the White
          > Council, hints of the Necromancer and what Gandalf was up to, when he
          > was not with the dwarves and Bilbo. I see nothing wrong with that
          > actually. It is only a movie. And if it is made like that, it may be
          > successful. If they try to maintain the children's book tone of the
          > book, it will tank.
          >
          > There's plenty of back-story in "The Council of Erebor" I read it in The
          Annotated Hobbit, very interesting stuff!

        • aveeris523@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006