Peter Jackson and The Hobbit

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
      For those of you that are gullible enough to still think that Peter Jackson
      has the slightest shred of decency in him, consider the following statement
      about Jackson (from _Entertainment Weekly_, September 29, 2006, page 17):

      > . . . Jackson has indeed started thinking about what he might do with _The
      Hobbit_. He's
      > especially intrigued by the idea of making two films and inventing new
      material to fill in
      > gaps in the story, since the plot . . . is fairly simplistic compared with
      LOTR.

      There's no mention of Tolkien after the first paragraph of this article.
      Apparently Tolkien has now reached the status of "Huh, Tolkien? He's like the
      writer of the book, right? He's been dead three decades and his family
      doesn't even own the cinematic rights to the stories, right? Could someone please
      prepare a summary of the plot of the book? I don't have time to read an
      entire book before writing a script."

    • Olaf Keith
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
        Peter Jackson is not in any way involved in a movie adaptation of THE
        HOBBIT at the moment. MGM has made an announcement regarding the
        HOBBIT and Jackson's possible involvement without even contacting him.

        So he is not actively working on a HOBBIT screenplay but has just been
        tossing around some idea how it could be done.

        And he is not suggesting to invent completely new material, but simply
        enhance the hints that are already there in the HOBBIT. Episodes which
        Tolkien sketched out later (and which probably can be found in various
        books edited by Christopher Tolkien) such as the actions of the White
        Council, hints of the Necromancer and what Gandalf was up to, when he
        was not with the dwarves and Bilbo. I see nothing wrong with that
        actually. It is only a movie. And if it is made like that, it may be
        successfull. If they try to maintain the children's book tone of the
        book, it will tank.

        Olaf

        > For those of you that are gullible enough to still think that Peter
        Jackson
        > has the slightest shred of decency in him, consider the following
        statement
        > about Jackson (from _Entertainment Weekly_, September 29, 2006, page
        17):

        > > . . . Jackson has indeed started thinking about what he might do
        with _The
        > Hobbit_. He's
        > > especially intrigued by the idea of making two films and inventing
        new
        > material to fill in
        > > gaps in the story, since the plot . . . is fairly simplistic
        compared with
        > LOTR.
        >
        > There's no mention of Tolkien after the first paragraph of this
        article.
        > Apparently Tolkien has now reached the status of "Huh, Tolkien?
        He's like the
        > writer of the book, right? He's been dead three decades and his
        family
        > doesn't even own the cinematic rights to the stories, right? Could
        someone please
        > prepare a summary of the plot of the book? I don't have time to
        read an
        > entire book before writing a script."

      • Ginger McElwee
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
          It is possible to produce very good and lucrative children's films. If
          Jackson writes a screen play for The Hobbit that doesn't resemble the book,
          it will not be because he is forced to in order to keep the film from
          "tanking." It will be because he wants to create something that The Hobbit
          suggested to him. He does not want to be true to the original story, but
          rather use the original as a starting point for his own creativity. (Too
          bad people like Jackson don't begin creating from scratch. I think he could
          produce something worthy.) I probably wouldn't care under normal
          circumstances, but I become incensed when any movie ruins a book that I
          love. If Jackson (or anybody else) does a film version of The Hobbit, I have
          no doubt it will be a disaster as far as I am concerned. Since The Hobbit
          could well be aimed at children and might produce lots of spin off products,
          it could cause more distortion in a new audience's understanding of Tolkien
          than the LOR movie did. (How many people who grew up after Disney's Winnie
          the Pooh even know there is an original book?)

          Ginger McElwee

          _____

        • aveeris523@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
            In a message dated 10/1/06 6:11:35 AM, keith@... writes:

            > Peter Jackson is not in any way involved in a movie adaptation of THE
            > HOBBIT at the moment. MGM has made an announcement regarding the
            > HOBBIT and Jackson's possible involvement without even contacting him.
            >
            > So he is not actively working on a HOBBIT screenplay but has just been
            > tossing around some idea how it could be done.
            >
            > And he is not suggesting to invent completely new material, but simply
            > enhance the hints that are already there in the HOBBIT. Episodes which
            > Tolkien sketched out later (and which probably can be found in various
            > books edited by Christopher Tolkien) such as the actions of the White
            > Council, hints of the Necromancer and what Gandalf was up to, when he
            > was not with the dwarves and Bilbo. I see nothing wrong with that
            > actually. It is only a movie. And if it is made like that, it may be
            > successful. If they try to maintain the children's book tone of the
            > book, it will tank.
            >
            > There's plenty of back-story in "The Council of Erebor" I read it in The
            Annotated Hobbit, very interesting stuff!

          • aveeris523@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006