Re: [mythsoc] Paul Park -- and Keith Donohue

  • jane Bigelow
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 27, 2006
      I recommend The Stolen Child heartily--though possibly not just
      before sleep. After all this discussion, I've got to take a look at
      A Princess of Roumania for myself. Anything that draws such
      disparate opinions from this group is worth a try.

      Jane

      At 07:06 PM 9/27/2006, you wrote:

      >From: "David Emerson"
      ><<mailto:emerdavid%40peoplepc.com>emerdavid@...>
      >:
      > >
      > > Now compare the preceding with the following excerpt from the next novel I
      > > picked up, Keith Donohue's THE STOLEN CHILD:
      > >
      > > Similar in that it's a passage without much action, mostly description,
      > > and talking about people out in the cold forest. But Donohue's phrasing
      > > sings where Park's plods. And I deliberately chose one of the least
      > > poetic passages I have come across so far, of which there are many (and
      > > I'm only on chapter 5). Here's a different passage that particularly
      > > impressed me:
      > >
      > > "Mr. Martin may not have been a fairy, but he was very fey. Tall and
      > > thin, his white hair long in a shaggy boy's cut, he wore a worn
      > > plum-colored suit. Christopher Robin all grown up and gone to genteel
      > > seed. Behind him stood the most beautiful machine I had ever seen.
      > > Lacquered to a high black finish, the grand piano drew all of the vitality
      > > of the room toward its propped-open lid. Those keys held in their
      > > serenity the possibility of every beautiful sound."
      > >
      > > The images explode into the brain. He makes a piano seem alive, and a
      > > person seem like a myth. Donohue is someone I would refer to as a major
      > > stylist.
      >
      >That certainly sounds like something I would enjoy reading!
      >
      >Berni

    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 5, 2006
        Interesting--a few days ago I received a v. nice postcard advertising
        the forthcoming release of Diana Pavlac Glyer's long-awaited book on
        the Inklings as a writers' group. Has anyone else received one of
        these? I'd already pre-ordered, but wondered if this was now a
        standard practice and if so which list I'd gotten on: mythsoc, Beyond
        Bree, amazon, or other.
        More bizarrely, amazon.co.uk sent me e-mail messages suggesting
        someone with my interests might want to pre-order Wayne & Christina's
        new book(s). This is only odd because I DO have them pre-ordered, and
        from amazon.co.uk. Does the left hand not know what the right hand is
        doing, or what?
        Most amusingly of all, yesterday I preordered the new HURIN book
        and the website helpfully suggested that if I liked that I might want
        to check out a little something called THE HISTORY OF THE HOBBIT . . .

        --JDR

        "This extraordinary chalk figure . . . was carved into the turf about
        3000 years ago . . . What exactly it is supposed to represent remains
        anyone's guess. The most accepted legend claims that King Alfred cut
        the figure to celebrate his victory over the Danes . . . in 871." --
        Lonely Planet guide: ENGLAND, chronologically challenged entry on The
        White Horse of Uffington (page 402).
      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
          >Interesting--a few days ago I received a v. nice postcard advertising
          >the forthcoming release of Diana Pavlac Glyer's long-awaited book on
          >the Inklings as a writers' group. Has anyone else received one of
          >these?

          She was passing them out at Mythcon this year. She read an out-take from the book as a paper, and it was well-received. I am very much looking forward to the book.

          >"This extraordinary chalk figure . . . was carved into the turf about
          >3000 years ago . . . What exactly it is supposed to represent remains
          >anyone's guess. The most accepted legend claims that King Alfred cut
          >the figure to celebrate his victory over the Danes . . . in 871." --
          >Lonely Planet guide: ENGLAND, chronologically challenged entry on The
          >White Horse of Uffington (page 402).

          Reminiscent of the ONION article about "Wikipedia celebrates 500th anniversary of Declaration of Independence." ;-)

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2006
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
              Diana Glyer's excellent book, THE COMPANY THEY KEEP, has been chosen
              as part of the YBP's Core 1000 (second quarter 2007). Libraries are no
              doubt familiar with the Yankee Book Peddlers but, for those of us who
              are not:

              "YBP Library Services is pleased to make available the YBP CORE 1000.
              YBP has developed, designed and implemented this service to aid
              academic libraries in assessing current collections and to allow
              smaller academic libraries the opportunity to benefit from
              participation with a seasoned vendor in collection development.

              "Each quarter year YBP will release a segment of the Core 1000 list
              that will include 250 titles. The Profiling Bibliographers at YBP
              select these titles for inclusion on the list. The selection process
              is complex. The profiling unit, which describes each title
              book-in-hand, will maintain lists of titles each quarter within the
              subject matter specialty assigned to that Profiler. Thereafter, the
              titles selected are carefully screened to identify major titles that
              will stand the test of time and be expected to be contained within
              good collections. The four quarterly lists of 250 titles will be
              combined in February and form the Core 1000 for that year.

              "Each year over 50,000 new titles are published that have relevance to
              the academic market. The YBP Core 1000 list is a valuable tool in
              assuring that essential titles are added to the collections. The
              skill, judgment, knowledge and experience of YBP's profiling
              bibliographers are the foundation upon which the Core 1000 is built.
              Thus, the intellectual honesty in describing titles, a proud YBP
              hallmark, will remain and neither publishers nor trends will influence
              the selection of titles for the benefit of academic libraries."
              http://www.ybp.com/acad/Core1000Cover.htm

              This is an excellent book - y'all should read it!
              -- Lynn --
            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
                Excellent news! Congratulations to Diana (and also to David, Who
                Helped).
                --JDR

                On Sep 11, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Lynn Maudlin wrote:
                > Diana Glyer's excellent book, THE COMPANY THEY KEEP, has been chosen
                > as part of the YBP's Core 1000 (second quarter 2007). Libraries are no
                > doubt familiar with the Yankee Book Peddlers but, for those of us who
                > are not:
                >
                > "YBP Library Services is pleased to make available the YBP CORE 1000.
                > YBP has developed, designed and implemented this service to aid
                > academic libraries in assessing current collections and to allow
                > smaller academic libraries the opportunity to benefit from
                > participation with a seasoned vendor in collection development.
                >
                > "Each quarter year YBP will release a segment of the Core 1000 list
                > that will include 250 titles. The Profiling Bibliographers at YBP
                > select these titles for inclusion on the list. The selection process
                > is complex. The profiling unit, which describes each title
                > book-in-hand, will maintain lists of titles each quarter within the
                > subject matter specialty assigned to that Profiler. Thereafter, the
                > titles selected are carefully screened to identify major titles that
                > will stand the test of time and be expected to be contained within
                > good collections. The four quarterly lists of 250 titles will be
                > combined in February and form the Core 1000 for that year.
                >
                > "Each year over 50,000 new titles are published that have relevance to
                > the academic market. The YBP Core 1000 list is a valuable tool in
                > assuring that essential titles are added to the collections. The
                > skill, judgment, knowledge and experience of YBP's profiling
                > bibliographers are the foundation upon which the Core 1000 is built.
                > Thus, the intellectual honesty in describing titles, a proud YBP
                > hallmark, will remain and neither publishers nor trends will influence
                > the selection of titles for the benefit of academic libraries."
                > http://www.ybp.com/acad/Core1000Cover.htm
              • Mike Foster
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
                  Cheers indeed, not to mention kudos as well.

                  Mike

                  Excellent news! Congratulations to Diana (and also to David, Who
                  Helped).
                  --JDR

                  On Sep 11, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Lynn Maudlin wrote:
                  > Diana Glyer's excellent book, THE COMPANY THEY KEEP, has been chosen
                  > as part of the YBP's Core 1000 (second quarter 2007). Libraries are no
                  > doubt familiar with the Yankee Book Peddlers but, for those of us who
                  > are not:
                  >
                  > "YBP Library Services is pleased to make available the YBP CORE 1000.
                  > YBP has developed, designed and implemented this service to aid
                  > academic libraries in assessing current collections and to allow
                  > smaller academic libraries the opportunity to benefit from
                  > participation with a seasoned vendor in collection development.
                  >
                  > "Each quarter year YBP will release a segment of the Core 1000 list
                  > that will include 250 titles. The Profiling Bibliographers at YBP
                  > select these titles for inclusion on the list. The selection process
                  > is complex. The profiling unit, which describes each title
                  > book-in-hand, will maintain lists of titles each quarter within the
                  > subject matter specialty assigned to that Profiler. Thereafter, the
                  > titles selected are carefully screened to identify major titles that
                  > will stand the test of time and be expected to be contained within
                  > good collections. The four quarterly lists of 250 titles will be
                  > combined in February and form the Core 1000 for that year.
                  >
                  > "Each year over 50,000 new titles are published that have relevance to
                  > the academic market. The YBP Core 1000 list is a valuable tool in
                  > assuring that essential titles are added to the collections. The
                  > skill, judgment, knowledge and experience of YBP's profiling
                  > bibliographers are the foundation upon which the Core 1000 is built.
                  > Thus, the intellectual honesty in describing titles, a proud YBP
                  > hallmark, will remain and neither publishers nor trends will influence
                  > the selection of titles for the benefit of academic libraries."
                  > http://www.ybp <http://www.ybp.com/acad/Core1000Cover.htm>
                  com/acad/Core1000Cover.htm

                • Doug Kane
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
                    Congratulations to Diana! That's definitely wonderful news.

                  • David Emerson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 12, 2007
                      Yay, Diana!!!!