Re: [mythsoc] Paul Park

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 27, 2006
      Wondered if it was worth a look. Am currently reading *Paradox* by John
      Meaney. Anyone else seen?

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 27, 2006
        OK, Alexei, you've persuaded me. Will take a look. ---djb
        > I've been slogging through A PRINCESS OF ROUMANIA by Paul Park -- has
        anybody
        > here read it? I found it interesting in places, although I felt it
        dragged
        > badly. Then when I was about 2/3 of the way through I found out it's not
        > self-contained novel. Apparently the complete story is going to take 3 or
        4
        > books to tell. I gave up.
        >
        > If anyone on this list has any positive opinions about it, I'd be glad to
        hear
        > them.
        >
        > emerdavid
        >
        > <<
        >

        > I found it brilliant. I understand that the whole story is to be a
        trilogy: the second book, _The Tourmaline_,

        > has been out for a while now, and the third book will be called _The White
        Tyger_.

        > It's not a fast-paced read, but it's meticulously written (Park, while
        not very prolific, is one of the

        > foremost stylists in sf & fantasy to emerge in the last decade or so). It
        begins rather like a typical y/a

        > novel (American teenager discovers she's secretly someone important from
        another world, and goes on an

        > adventurous quest to that world, accompanied by some sidekicks), but it
        soon becomes obvious that Park is

        > only playing with this trope, and he quickly takes it into uncharted
        territory. I thought the world-building

        > was superior (an alternate-history leading to a world much like ours on
        the surface, yet startingly

        > different in some unexpected ways).I also liked the fascinatingly complex
        villains, who have weaknesses with