Re: New Person

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 1998
      I've been a member of the Mythopoeic Society for about ten years now and
      am in the Khazad-dum chapter here in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm
      the Bratwoman, married to David Bratman, one of the Council of Stewards.

      By day I'm a mild mannered semiconductor technician, destroying computer
      chips so you don't have to. (I take them apart to look for defects or
      polish them in cross-section and take pretty pictures of them.) By
      night I'm a crusading conductor trying to get my church choir to learn
      their music. (My actual degree is in music. That and a dollar will get
      you a cup of coffee in Silicon Valley.)

      I'm trying to appreciate Charles Williams more. I figure one book a
      decade will do it. I'm sort of lukewarm about Lewis. Some of his stuff
      I like; others, I'm not so wild about. I like Tolkien, but not as much
      as my husband does--but then, who could possibly like Tolkien more than
      my David? I prefer to read current fantasy and non-Inkling stuff.

      Berni Phillips
      "I had to be a bitch--they wouldn't let me be a Jesuit." (from Matt
      Ruff's, _Sewer, Gas, & Electric_)
    • Chip Morris
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 1998
        Hi all,

        Well, I've been involved with Tolkien's work since I was
        a child. I can remember sitting in class while my 4th
        grade teacher read to us the incredible yarn, The
        Hobbit. It was from then on I was hooked.

        I am a part time writer, though to earn money I work as
        a Software Technician and Web site designer. I love
        Tolkien, and all his works from the Sillmarillion, and
        beyond. He has affected my writing to, and I often find
        myself trying to meet the challenge of creating a story
        that is unlike Mr. Tolkien and the other Inklings. I
        also am a big fan of C.S. Lewis, Lloyd Alexander and
        Robert Jordan (of The Wheel of Time and Conan Fame).

        I love discussing Tolkien's work and his works.

        Hope to hear from ya soon. :)

        Chip

        Brain: Are you Pondering What I'm pondering?