Re: [mythsoc] Children of Hurin

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 19, 2006
      In a message dated 9/19/2006 4:18:51 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      ferretolk@... writes:

      Are your sure about this ? HarperCollins never officially replied to my
      question when I asked them about updated figures. The last "official"
      figures I know were published in P Curry's _Defending ME_, ten years ago !.

      A German grad student who was one of the speakers at Tolkien 2005 in
      Birmingham last year told me this. He was working on a Ph.D. thesis about the
      American reception of _The Lord of the Rings_ in the 1960's, which he spoke about
      in his talk. When he took questions after the talk, I asked if he knew how
      many copies had been sold. I had discussed this very question on this mailing
      list shortly before this (and had discussed it elsewhere too), so I decided
      I would try to get it resolved if I could during the conference. I was
      asking everybody there I could if they knew of any official figures on the amount
      of sales. The German grad student said that he had just talked to people at
      HarperCollins and they said that it was over 100 million authorized copies
      and about 150 million if you counted unauthorized copies. I can't find my copy
      of the Tolkien 2005 program schedule. Does anybody else have a copy? Can
      you tell me the German grad student's name and his academic association?

    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 19, 2006
        The student in question would be Marcel Buelles of Tolkien
        Gesellschaft. Marcel Buelles <marcel.buelles@...>

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 19, 2006
          In a message dated 9/19/2006 9:51:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          mafoster@... writes:

          The student in question would be Marcel Buelles of Tolkien
          Gesellschaft. Marcel Buelles <_marcel.buelles@..._
          (mailto:marcel.buelles@...) >

          Thanks, Mike.

        • Vincent Ferré
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 20, 2006
            Thank you, Wendell. It is an interesting figure, since it is reliable.

            best wishes

            Vincent

            > A German grad student who was one of the speakers at Tolkien 2005 in
            > Birmingham last year told me this. He was working on a Ph.D. thesis
            [...]
            > Wendell Wagner
          • Fernando C.S.
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 20, 2006
              Tolkien News (http://tolkiennews.net) has informed that the Tolkien
              Estate has launched it own official website:

              http://www.tolkienestate.com/

              If the website is not fake, it endorses the information about the
              publication in April 2007.

              Currently it only has the homepage, but it is stated that the website
              is under construction and that it will be online in the same address
              next spring -with information on J. R. R. Tolkien and studies of his
              works in multiple languages.

              Regards,
              Fernando
            • taleofgondolin
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
                Here is more info, plus you can pre-order the book. Here is also a
                quote from Harper Collins that says that since 2001 50 millions copies
                of LOTR were sold.

                http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/newtolkienbook.htm

                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...> wrote:

                > Michael Drout talks about the contents on his blog. It will have a
                new map and artwork by Alan Lee:

                > http://wormtalk.blogspot.com/2006/09/j.html
                >

                > **************************************
                > David D. Oberhelman
                > Associate Professor
                > Humanities-Social Sciences Division
                > Oklahoma State University Library
                > Stillwater, OK 74078
                > Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
                > Email: d.oberhelman@...

              • Fernando C.S.
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 6, 2006
                  Smial Dor-Lómin of the Spanish Tolkein Society and Fantasymundo.com
                  phone interview with Adam Tolkien (Tolkien Estate):

                  http://www.dor-lomin.org/noticias/noticias.php?
                  pagina=0&anillotolkien=1504

                  It begins with a transcription in Spanish of this interview, but at
                  the bottom it has the original interview in English. It has
                  commentaries on The Childrens of Húrin and the movie of The Hobbit.