RE: [mythsoc] Children of Hurin

  • Oberhelman, D
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 19, 2006
      Michael Drout talks about the contents on his blog. It will have a new map and artwork by Alan Lee:

      http://wormtalk.blogspot.com/2006/09/j.html

      **************************************
      David D. Oberhelman
      Associate Professor
      Humanities-Social Sciences Division
      Oklahoma State University Library
      Stillwater, OK 74078
      Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
      Email: d.oberhelman@...

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 19, 2006
        In a message dated 9/19/2006 4:18:51 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        ferretolk@... writes:

        Are your sure about this ? HarperCollins never officially replied to my
        question when I asked them about updated figures. The last "official"
        figures I know were published in P Curry's _Defending ME_, ten years ago !.

        A German grad student who was one of the speakers at Tolkien 2005 in
        Birmingham last year told me this. He was working on a Ph.D. thesis about the
        American reception of _The Lord of the Rings_ in the 1960's, which he spoke about
        in his talk. When he took questions after the talk, I asked if he knew how
        many copies had been sold. I had discussed this very question on this mailing
        list shortly before this (and had discussed it elsewhere too), so I decided
        I would try to get it resolved if I could during the conference. I was
        asking everybody there I could if they knew of any official figures on the amount
        of sales. The German grad student said that he had just talked to people at
        HarperCollins and they said that it was over 100 million authorized copies
        and about 150 million if you counted unauthorized copies. I can't find my copy
        of the Tolkien 2005 program schedule. Does anybody else have a copy? Can
        you tell me the German grad student's name and his academic association?

      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 19, 2006
          The student in question would be Marcel Buelles of Tolkien
          Gesellschaft. Marcel Buelles <marcel.buelles@...>

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 19, 2006
            In a message dated 9/19/2006 9:51:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            mafoster@... writes:

            The student in question would be Marcel Buelles of Tolkien
            Gesellschaft. Marcel Buelles <_marcel.buelles@..._
            (mailto:marcel.buelles@...) >

            Thanks, Mike.

          • Vincent Ferré
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 20, 2006
              Thank you, Wendell. It is an interesting figure, since it is reliable.

              best wishes

              Vincent

              > A German grad student who was one of the speakers at Tolkien 2005 in
              > Birmingham last year told me this. He was working on a Ph.D. thesis
              [...]
              > Wendell Wagner
            • Fernando C.S.
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 20, 2006
                Tolkien News (http://tolkiennews.net) has informed that the Tolkien
                Estate has launched it own official website:

                http://www.tolkienestate.com/

                If the website is not fake, it endorses the information about the
                publication in April 2007.

                Currently it only has the homepage, but it is stated that the website
                is under construction and that it will be online in the same address
                next spring -with information on J. R. R. Tolkien and studies of his
                works in multiple languages.

                Regards,
                Fernando
              • taleofgondolin
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
                  Here is more info, plus you can pre-order the book. Here is also a
                  quote from Harper Collins that says that since 2001 50 millions copies
                  of LOTR were sold.

                  http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/newtolkienbook.htm

                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...> wrote:

                  > Michael Drout talks about the contents on his blog. It will have a
                  new map and artwork by Alan Lee:

                  > http://wormtalk.blogspot.com/2006/09/j.html
                  >

                  > **************************************
                  > David D. Oberhelman
                  > Associate Professor
                  > Humanities-Social Sciences Division
                  > Oklahoma State University Library
                  > Stillwater, OK 74078
                  > Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
                  > Email: d.oberhelman@...

                • Fernando C.S.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 6, 2006
                    Smial Dor-Lómin of the Spanish Tolkein Society and Fantasymundo.com
                    phone interview with Adam Tolkien (Tolkien Estate):

                    http://www.dor-lomin.org/noticias/noticias.php?
                    pagina=0&anillotolkien=1504

                    It begins with a transcription in Spanish of this interview, but at
                    the bottom it has the original interview in English. It has
                    commentaries on The Childrens of Húrin and the movie of The Hobbit.