Re: [mythsoc] Children of Hurin

  • Vincent Ferré
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 19, 2006
      Are your sure about this ? HarperCollins never officially replied to my
      question when I asked them about updated figures. The last "official"
      figures I know were published in P Curry's _Defending ME_, ten years ago !.

      > It's sold more than 100 million copies > even if you only count the
      authorized editions. If you count the
      unauthorized > editions (i.e., the ones that didn't pay royalties, which
      means mostly
      the > unauthorized Russian translations and the unauthorized Asian
      printings),
      it's > about 150 million copies. > Wendell Wagner

      >This is the AP story that is being republished in several places around the
      Web.
      I am hoping more unpublished material will be released as well

      Do we know more about the proportion of unpublished/already published
      material ?

      Vincent
    • Oberhelman, D
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 19, 2006
        Michael Drout talks about the contents on his blog. It will have a new map and artwork by Alan Lee:

        http://wormtalk.blogspot.com/2006/09/j.html

        **************************************
        David D. Oberhelman
        Associate Professor
        Humanities-Social Sciences Division
        Oklahoma State University Library
        Stillwater, OK 74078
        Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
        Email: d.oberhelman@...

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 19, 2006
          In a message dated 9/19/2006 4:18:51 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          ferretolk@... writes:

          Are your sure about this ? HarperCollins never officially replied to my
          question when I asked them about updated figures. The last "official"
          figures I know were published in P Curry's _Defending ME_, ten years ago !.

          A German grad student who was one of the speakers at Tolkien 2005 in
          Birmingham last year told me this. He was working on a Ph.D. thesis about the
          American reception of _The Lord of the Rings_ in the 1960's, which he spoke about
          in his talk. When he took questions after the talk, I asked if he knew how
          many copies had been sold. I had discussed this very question on this mailing
          list shortly before this (and had discussed it elsewhere too), so I decided
          I would try to get it resolved if I could during the conference. I was
          asking everybody there I could if they knew of any official figures on the amount
          of sales. The German grad student said that he had just talked to people at
          HarperCollins and they said that it was over 100 million authorized copies
          and about 150 million if you counted unauthorized copies. I can't find my copy
          of the Tolkien 2005 program schedule. Does anybody else have a copy? Can
          you tell me the German grad student's name and his academic association?

        • Mike Foster
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 19, 2006
            The student in question would be Marcel Buelles of Tolkien
            Gesellschaft. Marcel Buelles <marcel.buelles@...>

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 19, 2006
              In a message dated 9/19/2006 9:51:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              mafoster@... writes:

              The student in question would be Marcel Buelles of Tolkien
              Gesellschaft. Marcel Buelles <_marcel.buelles@..._
              (mailto:marcel.buelles@...) >

              Thanks, Mike.

            • Vincent Ferré
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 20, 2006
                Thank you, Wendell. It is an interesting figure, since it is reliable.

                best wishes

                Vincent

                > A German grad student who was one of the speakers at Tolkien 2005 in
                > Birmingham last year told me this. He was working on a Ph.D. thesis
                [...]
                > Wendell Wagner
              • Fernando C.S.
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 20, 2006
                  Tolkien News (http://tolkiennews.net) has informed that the Tolkien
                  Estate has launched it own official website:

                  http://www.tolkienestate.com/

                  If the website is not fake, it endorses the information about the
                  publication in April 2007.

                  Currently it only has the homepage, but it is stated that the website
                  is under construction and that it will be online in the same address
                  next spring -with information on J. R. R. Tolkien and studies of his
                  works in multiple languages.

                  Regards,
                  Fernando
                • taleofgondolin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
                    Here is more info, plus you can pre-order the book. Here is also a
                    quote from Harper Collins that says that since 2001 50 millions copies
                    of LOTR were sold.

                    http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/newtolkienbook.htm

                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...> wrote:

                    > Michael Drout talks about the contents on his blog. It will have a
                    new map and artwork by Alan Lee:

                    > http://wormtalk.blogspot.com/2006/09/j.html
                    >

                    > **************************************
                    > David D. Oberhelman
                    > Associate Professor
                    > Humanities-Social Sciences Division
                    > Oklahoma State University Library
                    > Stillwater, OK 74078
                    > Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
                    > Email: d.oberhelman@...

                  • Fernando C.S.
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 6, 2006
                      Smial Dor-Lómin of the Spanish Tolkein Society and Fantasymundo.com
                      phone interview with Adam Tolkien (Tolkien Estate):

                      http://www.dor-lomin.org/noticias/noticias.php?
                      pagina=0&anillotolkien=1504

                      It begins with a transcription in Spanish of this interview, but at
                      the bottom it has the original interview in English. It has
                      commentaries on The Childrens of Húrin and the movie of The Hobbit.