Children of Hurin

  • Joan.Marie.Verba@sff.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 18, 2006
      In April, Houghton Mifflin publishes a new book by J.R.R. Tolkien, The
      Children of Hurin, one of three "great tales" Tolkien worked on during his
      life. The book has been completed by Tolkien's son Christopher.
    • Jay Hershberger
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 18, 2006
        Would you be willing to provide some details? Thanks!

        Cheers,

        Jay Hershberger

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 18, 2006
          This is the AP story that is being republished in several places around the Web.

          I am hoping more unpublished material will be released as well.

          Unfinished Tolkien Work to Be Published

          The Associated Press
          Monday, September 18, 2006; 12:17 PM

          NEW YORK -- An unfinished tale by J.R.R. Tolkien has been edited by his son into a completed work and will be released next spring, the U.S. and British publishers announced Monday.

          Christopher Tolkien has spent the past 30 years working on "The Children of Hurin," an epic tale his father began in 1918 and later abandoned. Excerpts of The Children of Húrin, which includes the elves and dwarves of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings and other works, have been published before.

          "It has seemed to me for a long time that there was a good case for presenting my father's long version of the legend of the `Children of Hurin' as an independent work, between its own covers," Christopher Tolkien said in a statement.

          The new book will be published by Houghton Mifflin in the United States and HarperCollins in England.

          J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings Trilogy" has sold more than 50 million copies and was also adapted into a blockbuster, Academy Award-winning trio of films. A stage version is scheduled to open next year.

          **************************************

          David D. Oberhelman

          Associate Professor

          Humanities-Social Sciences Division

          Oklahoma State University Library

          Stillwater, OK 74078

          Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 18, 2006
            In a message dated 9/18/2006 4:40:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            d.oberhelman@... writes:

            J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings Trilogy" has sold more than 50 million
            copies

            Can't news stories get this right? It's sold more than 100 million copies
            even if you only count the authorized editions. If you count the unauthorized
            editions (i.e., the ones that didn't pay royalties, which means mostly the
            unauthorized Russian translations and the unauthorized Asian printings), it's
            about 150 million copies. And, yes, this means copies of the whole book. A
            three-volume edition of _The Lord of the Rings_ only counts as one copy.

          • Vincent Ferré
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 19, 2006
              Are your sure about this ? HarperCollins never officially replied to my
              question when I asked them about updated figures. The last "official"
              figures I know were published in P Curry's _Defending ME_, ten years ago !.

              > It's sold more than 100 million copies > even if you only count the
              authorized editions. If you count the
              unauthorized > editions (i.e., the ones that didn't pay royalties, which
              means mostly
              the > unauthorized Russian translations and the unauthorized Asian
              printings),
              it's > about 150 million copies. > Wendell Wagner

              >This is the AP story that is being republished in several places around the
              Web.
              I am hoping more unpublished material will be released as well

              Do we know more about the proportion of unpublished/already published
              material ?

              Vincent
            • Oberhelman, D
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 19, 2006
                Michael Drout talks about the contents on his blog. It will have a new map and artwork by Alan Lee:

                http://wormtalk.blogspot.com/2006/09/j.html

                **************************************

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 19, 2006
                  In a message dated 9/19/2006 4:18:51 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                  ferretolk@... writes:

                  Are your sure about this ? HarperCollins never officially replied to my
                  question when I asked them about updated figures. The last "official"
                  figures I know were published in P Curry's _Defending ME_, ten years ago !.

                  A German grad student who was one of the speakers at Tolkien 2005 in
                  Birmingham last year told me this. He was working on a Ph.D. thesis about the
                  American reception of _The Lord of the Rings_ in the 1960's, which he spoke about
                  in his talk. When he took questions after the talk, I asked if he knew how
                  many copies had been sold. I had discussed this very question on this mailing
                  list shortly before this (and had discussed it elsewhere too), so I decided
                  I would try to get it resolved if I could during the conference. I was
                  asking everybody there I could if they knew of any official figures on the amount
                  of sales. The German grad student said that he had just talked to people at
                  HarperCollins and they said that it was over 100 million authorized copies
                  and about 150 million if you counted unauthorized copies. I can't find my copy
                  of the Tolkien 2005 program schedule. Does anybody else have a copy? Can
                  you tell me the German grad student's name and his academic association?

                • Mike Foster
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 19, 2006
                    The student in question would be Marcel Buelles of Tolkien
                    Gesellschaft. Marcel Buelles <marcel.buelles@...>

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 19, 2006
                      In a message dated 9/19/2006 9:51:01 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      mafoster@... writes:

                      The student in question would be Marcel Buelles of Tolkien
                      Gesellschaft. Marcel Buelles <_marcel.buelles@..._
                      (mailto:marcel.buelles@...) >

                      Thanks, Mike.

                    • Vincent Ferré
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 20, 2006
                        Thank you, Wendell. It is an interesting figure, since it is reliable.

                        best wishes

                        Vincent

                        > A German grad student who was one of the speakers at Tolkien 2005 in
                        > Birmingham last year told me this. He was working on a Ph.D. thesis
                        [...]
                        > Wendell Wagner
                      • Fernando C.S.
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 20, 2006
                          Tolkien News (http://tolkiennews.net) has informed that the Tolkien
                          Estate has launched it own official website:

                          http://www.tolkienestate.com/

                          If the website is not fake, it endorses the information about the
                          publication in April 2007.

                          Currently it only has the homepage, but it is stated that the website
                          is under construction and that it will be online in the same address
                          next spring -with information on J. R. R. Tolkien and studies of his
                          works in multiple languages.

                          Regards,
                          Fernando
                        • taleofgondolin
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
                            Here is more info, plus you can pre-order the book. Here is also a
                            quote from Harper Collins that says that since 2001 50 millions copies
                            of LOTR were sold.

                            http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/newtolkienbook.htm

                            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...> wrote:

                            > Michael Drout talks about the contents on his blog. It will have a
                            new map and artwork by Alan Lee:

                            > http://wormtalk.blogspot.com/2006/09/j.html
                            >

                            > **************************************
                            > David D. Oberhelman
                            > Associate Professor
                            > Humanities-Social Sciences Division
                            > Oklahoma State University Library
                            > Stillwater, OK 74078
                            > Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
                            > Email: d.oberhelman@...

                          • Fernando C.S.
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 6, 2006
                              Smial Dor-Lómin of the Spanish Tolkein Society and Fantasymundo.com
                              phone interview with Adam Tolkien (Tolkien Estate):

                              http://www.dor-lomin.org/noticias/noticias.php?
                              pagina=0&anillotolkien=1504

                              It begins with a transcription in Spanish of this interview, but at
                              the bottom it has the original interview in English. It has
                              commentaries on The Childrens of Húrin and the movie of The Hobbit.