Re: [mythsoc] Re: literary sabotage

    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 11, 2006
      At 10:55 AM 9/11/2006 -0700, John D Rateliff wrote:

      >Thanks for the link to the follow-up story, David. I must say
      >Wilson's behaving with a good deal of dignity over the whole mess.

      He has been well and truly had, and apparently it's too churlish even for
      him to try to wiggle out of it. Maybe he appreciates the sense of humor,
      so similar to his own.

      >In any case, as Wilson points out,
      >he'll simply remove the poison pen piece for the next printing, by
      >which I assume it'll be long gone before the American edition comes
      >out at the end of November.

      That would be typical. At least two of the most contentious passages in
      Wilson's Lewis biography were silently removed for the softcover, replaced
      by innocuous passages of the same length. (There's no indication on the
      copyright page of any changes, nor are these minor corrections.) This
      caused tremendous confusion among his critics, who argued with each other,
      not realizing they weren't looking at the same text. I have both editions
      right here.

      - David Bratman
    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 9, 2007
        Hello fellows:

        I've been off-list for some time. One reason is that
        I've been looking after an early Mythopoeic personage,
        Jon Lackey. He was the producer of the "Greater
        Trumps" masque that was mounted at
        the second Mythcon in 1971. He had been in ill health
        for much of this previous year.

        I'm sorry to report that he passed away on February
        26th of cancer.
        .
        He was an enormous influence on my life, as well as
        many others. He was involved with the very
        first campaign to produce a film of "Rings" in 1957.
        A major contributor to the SCA, LASFS, a tutor and
        mentor to many, RenFair performer, artist, sculptor,
        costumer, composer, and so much more.

        Please pass this information on to anyone who might
        have known him, and have them contact me
        as regards a planned memorial.

        Thank you,
        Bonnie S. Callahan