Re: [mythsoc] Re: literary sabotage

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 11, 2006
      Thanks for the link to the follow-up story, David. I must say
      Wilson's behaving with a good deal of dignity over the whole mess.
      The original story includes a specific denial by the other biographer
      of any responsibility, but I'd have to know more about the fellow to
      know if that's convincing (and other options obvious present
      themselves). Also, knowing nothing of Betjeman's life (other than
      that he's one of the few of CSL's students who well and truly got the
      last word), I have no idea if the incident the letter was supposed to
      prove was significant or not. Was this merely one affair among many,
      or the purported love of B's life? In any case, as Wilson points out,
      he'll simply remove the poison pen piece for the next printing, by
      which I assume it'll be long gone before the American edition comes
      out at the end of November.

      On Sep 10, 2006, at 6:08 AM, Matt Williams wrote:
      > It just goes to show how poorly Wilson checks his sources and
      > facts; a letter out of the blue, postmarded in Britain but
      > purportedly from France, etc. And he could never contact the
      > sender. Yet, he includes it in the book without a second thought.
      > Pitiful.

      Actually, it's the follow-up letter to the Sunday Times exposing the
      fraud that had the London postmark, not the typed copy Wilson
      received two years ago while researching the book. If there was
      something unusual, startling, or out of character in the letter then
      Wilson shd have used it with extreme caution (and flagged it as
      such); if it's just the sort of thing Betjeman would write then his
      having been taken in by one letter among 50,000 is unfortunate but
      hardly negligent.

      --JDR

      current reading: EMINENT VICTORIANS by A. N. Wilson (v. well done,
      though he's no Strachey. I find I enjoy him best when he's writing
      about those of whom I know the least--e.g. Josephine Butler vs.
      Newman. Nice to find him writing about people he greatly admires).
    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 9, 2007
        Hello fellows:

        I've been off-list for some time. One reason is that
        I've been looking after an early Mythopoeic personage,
        Jon Lackey. He was the producer of the "Greater
        Trumps" masque that was mounted at
        the second Mythcon in 1971. He had been in ill health
        for much of this previous year.

        I'm sorry to report that he passed away on February
        26th of cancer.
        .
        He was an enormous influence on my life, as well as
        many others. He was involved with the very
        first campaign to produce a film of "Rings" in 1957.
        A major contributor to the SCA, LASFS, a tutor and
        mentor to many, RenFair performer, artist, sculptor,
        costumer, composer, and so much more.

        Please pass this information on to anyone who might
        have known him, and have them contact me
        as regards a planned memorial.

        Thank you,
        Bonnie S. Callahan