An unexpected citation

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10 3:56 PM
      So I'm merrily reading along in _Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box_ (ed. Eric Bronson; Chicago: Open Court Books, 2004), enjoying essays on such topics as the nature of faith ("Should Cubs Fans Be Committed?"), the ethics of cheating ("Would Kant Cork His Bat?") and suchlike, and suddenly I come across the following line:

      "As J.R.R. Tolkien writes, 'The greatest examples of the action of the spirit and of reason are in _abnegation_.'"

      It was rather like finding a new road or a secret gate around the corner.

      The footnote on this line refers to _Letters_ p. 246 of the 1981 Houghton Mifflin edition. The essay containing this line is "Taking One for the Team: Baseball and Sacrifice" by Willie Young. Mr. Young also quotes Aristotle, Hegel, Seneca, Kierkegaard, Derrida, and George Carlin, so our beloved professor is in good company.

      The book, by the way, is part of a series, "Popular Culture and Philosophy" from the same publisher. Other books in the series include _The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy: One Book to Rule Them All_ (2005) and _Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale_ (2003). As I am enjoying this one, I am now moved to pick up at least these two others, if not the ones on Seinfeld and The Simpsons.

      David Emerson

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com