literary sabotage

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 9 2:26 PM
      My wife pointed out to me last night an interesting story that's
      caused quite a stir in England over the last week. Briefly, someone
      deliberately sent A. N. Wilson false information (a forged letter)
      which he included in his newest biography in the belief that it was
      genuine. The chief suspects are some friend of Humphrey Carpenter,
      with whom Wilson had been feuding before the latter's death, or
      Wilson's rival biographer who's devoted his career to the subject of
      ANW's latest book (John Betjeman). An interesting but altogether
      unedifying story.
      --JDR

      Here's the link:
      London literary hoax is its own whodunit
      LONDON -- To be duped into printing a made-up love letter in
      your latest biography is bad enough. But to discover that the
      ersatz document is a very rude insult aimed specifically at you
      -- that is a rare kind of humiliation.

      * Read the full article at:
      http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/books/283569_literaryhoax05.html

    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 9, 2007
        Hello fellows:

        I've been off-list for some time. One reason is that
        I've been looking after an early Mythopoeic personage,
        Jon Lackey. He was the producer of the "Greater
        Trumps" masque that was mounted at
        the second Mythcon in 1971. He had been in ill health
        for much of this previous year.

        I'm sorry to report that he passed away on February
        26th of cancer.
        .
        He was an enormous influence on my life, as well as
        many others. He was involved with the very
        first campaign to produce a film of "Rings" in 1957.
        A major contributor to the SCA, LASFS, a tutor and
        mentor to many, RenFair performer, artist, sculptor,
        costumer, composer, and so much more.

        Please pass this information on to anyone who might
        have known him, and have them contact me
        as regards a planned memorial.

        Thank you,
        Bonnie S. Callahan