Re: [mythsoc] Landscape With Dragons P.S. (movies)

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 8, 2006
      From: "John D Rateliff" <sacnoth@...>

      > One final bit about O'Brien's book I thought might interest folks is
      > his chapter on movies, which I skipped over and only went back to
      > later when I was finishing up the book.
      >
      > Also discovered that he's written a series of young adult novels
      > about living through the End Times, a sort of "Left Behind" Jr. Has
      > anyone read any of these? From what Matt said I suspect his ideas
      > better in practice than in theory, and I'm curious whether they're
      > worth hunting down.

      I don't know if this is one of his YAs or not -- I read FATHER ELIJAH:
      AN APOCALYPSE. It wasn't bad for that sort of thing and was much
      better written than the Left Behind books. (About the only thing that I
      can think of that was as poorly written as the Left Behind books was
      THE DA VINCI CODE.) As a Catholic,
      it was a relief to read that sort of thing from a Catholic perspective --
      the Left Behind books are anti-Catholic. I've seen a couple of his other
      novels at the local Catholic bookstore but they didn't look like any
      type of fantasy so I didn't pick them up.
    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 9, 2007
        Hello fellows:

        I've been off-list for some time. One reason is that
        I've been looking after an early Mythopoeic personage,
        Jon Lackey. He was the producer of the "Greater
        Trumps" masque that was mounted at
        the second Mythcon in 1971. He had been in ill health
        for much of this previous year.

        I'm sorry to report that he passed away on February
        26th of cancer.
        .
        He was an enormous influence on my life, as well as
        many others. He was involved with the very
        first campaign to produce a film of "Rings" in 1957.
        A major contributor to the SCA, LASFS, a tutor and
        mentor to many, RenFair performer, artist, sculptor,
        costumer, composer, and so much more.

        Please pass this information on to anyone who might
        have known him, and have them contact me
        as regards a planned memorial.

        Thank you,
        Bonnie S. Callahan