Landscape With Dragons P.S. (movies)

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 8, 2006
      One final bit about O'Brien's book I thought might interest folks is
      his chapter on movies, which I skipped over and only went back to
      later when I was finishing up the book. In the chapter "The Mortal
      Foe of My Children", he warns against Dune (the 'hero' commands
      worms=dragons=satan & his minions) and the Star Wars movies ("Is this
      not Gnosticism?"). In the section titled "Vigilance, Paranoia, and
      Uncle Walt", he has good things to say about early Disney: Snow
      White, Sleeping Beauty, Fantasia (including, surprisingly enough,
      "Night on Bald Mountain"), and especially Pinocchio. But he has harsh
      words for the ones made after Disney's death: The Watcher in the
      Woods (occult!), Bedknobs and Broomsticks ("softens ancient fears
      about witchcraft"), and Pete's Dragon ("cute, friendly dragon") all
      get the hairy eyeball. Then he really gets worked up over The Little
      Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast ("a nasty swipe at the Church"), and
      Pocahontas (portrays white males in a negative way). Most of all he
      attacks Aladdin, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Dragonheart, and (of
      all things) Jurassic Park. In Aladdin he thinks the hero is too self-
      reliant and that he and the princess show too much skin, are bursting
      with hormones, and kiss too passionately, but mainly he fears that
      after seeing the genie kids will leave the show wanting to summon up
      their own demons. His critique of Hunchback is a bit incoherent;
      suffice it to say he finds it blatantly antiCatholic and again thinks
      there's too much skin on display, questioning whether "viewing such
      intimate moments between man and woman is ever appropriate, even for
      adults". And I suspect few who've seen Jurassic Park can even guess
      at what in it made O'Brien conclude the film was evidence of deep-
      rooted antiCatholicism in our culture.

      Speaking of Gnosticism, he does finally more or less define it as
      anything that teaches self-improvement or considers self-knowledge to
      be a good thing. Carl Jung? Gnostic. Star Wars? Gnostic. All
      religions that do not advocate abject surrender of selfhood to God?
      Gnostic. Gnosticism seems to be for him the great boogyman haunting
      our culture, so far as I could tell.

      Also discovered that he's written a series of young adult novels
      about living through the End Times, a sort of "Left Behind" Jr. Has
      anyone read any of these? From what Matt said I suspect his ideas
      better in practice than in theory, and I'm curious whether they're
      worth hunting down.

      --JDR
    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 9, 2007
        Hello fellows:

        I've been off-list for some time. One reason is that
        I've been looking after an early Mythopoeic personage,
        Jon Lackey. He was the producer of the "Greater
        Trumps" masque that was mounted at
        the second Mythcon in 1971. He had been in ill health
        for much of this previous year.

        I'm sorry to report that he passed away on February
        26th of cancer.
        .
        He was an enormous influence on my life, as well as
        many others. He was involved with the very
        first campaign to produce a film of "Rings" in 1957.
        A major contributor to the SCA, LASFS, a tutor and
        mentor to many, RenFair performer, artist, sculptor,
        costumer, composer, and so much more.

        Please pass this information on to anyone who might
        have known him, and have them contact me
        as regards a planned memorial.

        Thank you,
        Bonnie S. Callahan