Re: [mythsoc] Re: Landscape With Dragons revisited

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 7, 2006
      On Sep 5, 2006, at 1:54 PM, jef.murray wrote:
      > This is simply because Catholicism, unlike Christian fundamentalism,
      > does not insist that all truth is contained in scripture.
      This much is true, after a fashion. More specifically, the Church
      does not (as the Apostles and the Church Fathers did not) treat
      Scripture and Tradition as two separate things, but rather as one
      whole deposit of Faith, with the latter guiding the right
      interpretation of the former.
      > In Catholicism, there is ongoing revelation through the teachings
      > of the
      > church (e.g., encyclicals and other documents approved by the church
      > Magesterium) and through the writings and teaching of saints
      > throughout the ages.
      This is false. The Church has always taught that Revelation was
      completed with the death of the last Apostle:

      From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

      "There will be no further Revelation
      66 "The Christian economy, therefore, since it is the new and
      definitive Covenant, will never pass away; and no new public
      revelation is to be expected before the glorious manifestation of our
      Lord Jesus Christ."

      What DOES continue through the Church, as guided by the Holy Spirit,
      is the discernment and interpretation of deposit of Faith with which
      Christ entrusted His Church. Again from the CCC:

      "Yet even if Revelation is already complete, it has not been made
      completely explicit; it remains for Christian faith gradually to
      grasp its full significance over the course of the centuries."

      The Church does recognize the validity of SOME private revelations,
      e.g. validated Marian apparitions, but the key word is PRIVATE: they
      are not binding in any way on the faithful. CCC:

      "67 Throughout the ages, there have been so-called "private"
      revelations, some of which have been recognized by the authority of
      the Church. They do not belong, however, to the deposit of faith. It
      is not their role to improve or complete Christ's definitive
      Revelation, but to help live more fully by it in a certain period of
      history. Guided by the Magisterium of the Church, the sensus fidelium
      knows how to discern and welcome in these revelations whatever
      constitutes an authentic call of Christ or his saints to the Church.
      Christian faith cannot accept "revelations" that claim to surpass or
      correct the Revelation of which Christ is the fulfillment"
      > The Catholic world looks for understanding of
      > complex situations through prayer and discernment. And its
      > understanding of God's revelations to man can and does change over
      > time, albeit generally in nuance, not in the basic tenets of the
      > church.
      True. The Church refers to this as development (i.e., of
      understanding, and so of doctrine). The classical analogy is of a oak
      growing from an acorn, but being at all times an oak; it does not
      suddenly become a beech, and thus change.

      Off topic, I know, but I don't want a fairly serious error to stand
      uncorrected.
    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 9, 2007
        Hello fellows:

        I've been off-list for some time. One reason is that
        I've been looking after an early Mythopoeic personage,
        Jon Lackey. He was the producer of the "Greater
        Trumps" masque that was mounted at
        the second Mythcon in 1971. He had been in ill health
        for much of this previous year.

        I'm sorry to report that he passed away on February
        26th of cancer.
        .
        He was an enormous influence on my life, as well as
        many others. He was involved with the very
        first campaign to produce a film of "Rings" in 1957.
        A major contributor to the SCA, LASFS, a tutor and
        mentor to many, RenFair performer, artist, sculptor,
        costumer, composer, and so much more.

        Please pass this information on to anyone who might
        have known him, and have them contact me
        as regards a planned memorial.

        Thank you,
        Bonnie S. Callahan