Re: [mythsoc] looking for travel advice

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6, 2006
      In a message dated 9/6/2006 3:03:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      When traveling by myself in England, however, I usually stay in B&B's. I
      prefer "guest houses," as they're called: houses that have been coverted to
      all-guest accommodations, rather than someone's extra bedroom. For long
      stays I plan ahead; when traveling around I use the British tourist office
      facilities to find me a place in the next town.

      Yes, stay at B&B's (bed and breakfasts), not at hotels. Most of them that
      I've stayed at are actually entire houses converted into guest accommodations
      (including living space for the owners/managers), but I've always heard them
      referred to as B&B's. You will often get to talk to the owner as you eat
      breakfast. You can find a number of websites for finding bed and breakfasts in
      London just by Googling on the words "bed and breakfasts" and "London". If
      you're traveling around, go to Tourist Information in the town you're
      currently in one day before you leave and ask to book a room in the next town. All
      hotel and B&B rooms are comparatively small in the U.K. Don't expect to find
      American-sized rooms.

    • Lezlie
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 13, 2006
        Hello-- Thank you everyone for all of your excellent travel advice. I
        found a nice little B & B that caters somewhat to women traveling
        alone & near to the hospital :The Darlington. I have also been
        contacted by an old friend who offered his daughter's flat in central
        London for my 2nd trip -- and for all the pub and folk club &
        bookstore addresses-- thank you & all are on my list! I will also be
        able to travel into the Northern areas and take a "look-see" around
        the winter landscapes, thanks to the links you have all sent.
        I've love to arrange a cup of tea or coffee and chat about
        Tolkien with anyone feeling sociable while I'm there. Lezlie