Re: [mythsoc] A NoviceTolkien Teacher

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 6, 2006
      I have already warned my Bradley University JRRT class that they should
      not aspire to see my comment on any paper declaring, "This happened in
      the movie you obviously saw, not in the book you were supposed to read."

      By all means, latch onto the HarperCollins audio CD of the home
      recordings George Sayere made of JRRT reading before -LotR- was
      published, Jay.

      Mike

      David Bratman wrote:

      >At 09:03 PM 9/5/2006 -0500, Jay Hershberger wrote:
      >

      >>Now, in addition to
      >>Liszt and Beethoven, my musical passions, I am also a Tolkien nerd.
      >>

      >Have you ever thought of finding Liszt and Beethoven works that would go
      >well with Tolkien? The more dramatic parts of "Les Preludes" would make an
      >arresting accompaniment to some of Tolkien's more exciting scenes, even if
      >it's a bit more "formal" than what passes for movie music these days. Does
      >the finale of Beethoven's Seventh Symphony sound like good horse-galloping
      >music to you?
      >

      >>I proposed a class on Lord of the Rings. The college bit, and I am now
      >>teaching 21 freshmen the text of The Lord of the Rings
      >>

      >Congratulations!
      >

      >>The class is a mixture of Tolkien fanatics like
      >>myself, as well as those who liked the movies but never read the
      >>stories.
      >>

      >Watch out for the phenomenon that many professors have found, of students
      >who write papers based on the movies, and not on the book they were
      >supposed to have read.
      >
      >- David Bratman

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 9, 2007
        Hello fellows:

        I've been off-list for some time. One reason is that
        I've been looking after an early Mythopoeic personage,
        Jon Lackey. He was the producer of the "Greater
        Trumps" masque that was mounted at
        the second Mythcon in 1971. He had been in ill health
        for much of this previous year.

        I'm sorry to report that he passed away on February
        26th of cancer.
        .
        He was an enormous influence on my life, as well as
        many others. He was involved with the very
        first campaign to produce a film of "Rings" in 1957.
        A major contributor to the SCA, LASFS, a tutor and
        mentor to many, RenFair performer, artist, sculptor,
        costumer, composer, and so much more.

        Please pass this information on to anyone who might
        have known him, and have them contact me
        as regards a planned memorial.

        Thank you,
        Bonnie S. Callahan