Re: Tolkien Criticism

  • visualweasel
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
      Hi Ashleigh,

      The Tolkien Studies suggestion is a good one, but if you don't have
      MUSE access (or access to the physical volumes in your library), or
      if you want to go further back, Michael Drout has an online
      bibliography (through 2000) at:

      http://acunix.wheatonma.edu/mdrout/TolkienBiblio/index.html

      It's a bit older but still very useful, online, and free. :)

      Jason

      PS. For more, see also:

      Richard West. "Tolkien Criticism: An
      Annotated Checklist" (1970; rev. ed. 1981)
      Richard West. "A Tolkien Checklist:
      Selected Criticism 1981–2004" in Modern
      Fiction Studies 50.4 (Winter 2004)
      Judith Johnson. "J.R.R. Tolkien: Six
      Decades of Criticism" (1986)
      Åke Jönsson. "A Tolkien Bibliography
      1911–1980: Writings by and about J.R.R.
      Tolkien" (1984, rev. ed. 1986)
    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
        > I have a few other suggestions to add to the mix. This is a good review
        > article of criticism after 1982 by Michael Drout and Hilary Wynne:
        > http://members.aol.com/JamesIMc Nelis/9_2/ Drout_9_2. pdf

        Another good suggestion! I thought about this one, too, David. :)

        Looks like we were on the same wavelength in the reply I just sent Ashleigh.

        Jason
      • Vincent Ferré
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
          good evening,

          and if you're interested, I keep a record of academic works (= Master's
          degrees, MPhil, PhDs) in French - about 150 so far, for :
          http://pourtolkien.free.fr/recherche.html

          there's also a review on books written in French in the last _Tolkien
          Studies_ issue.

          best wishes
          Vincent

          > > I have a few other suggestions to add to the mix. This is a good review
          > > article of criticism after 1982 by Michael Drout and Hilary Wynne:
          > > http://members.aol.com/JamesIMc Nelis/9_2/ Drout_9_2. pdf
          >
          > Another good suggestion! I thought about this one, too, David. :)
          >
          > Looks like we were on the same wavelength in the reply I just sent
          Ashleigh.

          > Jason
        • Ashleigh Ward
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 7, 2006
            Thanks everyone! Some great suggestions there -- I think the example of
            French works will be an excellent way to demonstrate that critical interest
            in Tolkien is not limited to the English-speaking world. I do have access to
            Project Muse, so I'll go an check out those bibliographies right away.

            Thanks again,
            Ashleigh