RE: [mythsoc] Tolkien Criticism

  • Oberhelman, D
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
      Ashleigh,

      I have a few other suggestions to add to the mix. This is a good review
      article of criticism after 1982 by Michael Drout and Hilary Wynne:
      http://members.aol.com/JamesIMcNelis/9_2/Drout_9_2.pdf

      For earlier criticism, you should consult Richard West's Tolkien
      Criticism: An Annotated Checklist from Kent State UP (rev. ed. 1981).

      Does your library have Proquest Dissertations (the online DAI)? You can
      use that to see how many dissertations have been done on Tolkien.

      Good luck!

      **************************************

      David D. Oberhelman

      Associate Professor

      Humanities-Social Sciences Division

      Oklahoma State University Library

      Stillwater, OK 74078

      Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579

      Email: d.oberhelman@...

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
        Hi Ashleigh,

        The Tolkien Studies suggestion is a good one, but if you don't have
        MUSE access (or access to the physical volumes in your library), or
        if you want to go further back, Michael Drout has an online
        bibliography (through 2000) at:

        http://acunix.wheatonma.edu/mdrout/TolkienBiblio/index.html

        It's a bit older but still very useful, online, and free. :)

        Jason

        PS. For more, see also:

        Richard West. "Tolkien Criticism: An
        Annotated Checklist" (1970; rev. ed. 1981)
        Richard West. "A Tolkien Checklist:
        Selected Criticism 1981–2004" in Modern
        Fiction Studies 50.4 (Winter 2004)
        Judith Johnson. "J.R.R. Tolkien: Six
        Decades of Criticism" (1986)
        Åke Jönsson. "A Tolkien Bibliography
        1911–1980: Writings by and about J.R.R.
        Tolkien" (1984, rev. ed. 1986)
      • Jason Fisher
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
          > I have a few other suggestions to add to the mix. This is a good review
          > article of criticism after 1982 by Michael Drout and Hilary Wynne:
          > http://members.aol.com/JamesIMc Nelis/9_2/ Drout_9_2. pdf

          Another good suggestion! I thought about this one, too, David. :)

          Looks like we were on the same wavelength in the reply I just sent Ashleigh.

          Jason
        • Vincent Ferré
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
            good evening,

            and if you're interested, I keep a record of academic works (= Master's
            degrees, MPhil, PhDs) in French - about 150 so far, for :
            http://pourtolkien.free.fr/recherche.html

            there's also a review on books written in French in the last _Tolkien
            Studies_ issue.

            best wishes
            Vincent

            > > I have a few other suggestions to add to the mix. This is a good review
            > > article of criticism after 1982 by Michael Drout and Hilary Wynne:
            > > http://members.aol.com/JamesIMc Nelis/9_2/ Drout_9_2. pdf
            >
            > Another good suggestion! I thought about this one, too, David. :)
            >
            > Looks like we were on the same wavelength in the reply I just sent
            Ashleigh.

            > Jason
          • Ashleigh Ward
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 7, 2006
              Thanks everyone! Some great suggestions there -- I think the example of
              French works will be an excellent way to demonstrate that critical interest
              in Tolkien is not limited to the English-speaking world. I do have access to
              Project Muse, so I'll go an check out those bibliographies right away.

              Thanks again,
              Ashleigh