Re: Tolkien Criticism

  • romanesquesilver
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
      Hi, Ashleigh,

      Sounds like an excellent thesis! I'm not sure how helpful these
      journals will be for your topic, but you might check into them, if
      you haven't already.

      http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/tolkien_studies/
      http://www.wvupress.com/journals/details.php?id=3
      http://www.sayers.org.uk/seven.html

      Blessings,
      Tiffany Martin

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Ashleigh" <ashleigh.ward@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > Long-time lurker, first-time poster...
      >
      > I'm currently working on a research proposal for my PhD thesis
      > (looking at the relationship between 'reality' and 'fantasy' in
      > popular epic fantasy). I want to give some indication of the
      extent
      > of 'Tolkien studies', something along the lines of "In 2005, there
      > were at least xx books and xx journal articles published on
      > Tolkien...". Even better would be if I could specify how much of
      that
      > was just on 'The Lord of the Ring'. Does anyone have any
      suggestions
      > as to where I could find these types of statistics?
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Ashleigh Ward

    • Oberhelman, D
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
        Ashleigh,

        I have a few other suggestions to add to the mix. This is a good review
        article of criticism after 1982 by Michael Drout and Hilary Wynne:
        http://members.aol.com/JamesIMcNelis/9_2/Drout_9_2.pdf

        For earlier criticism, you should consult Richard West's Tolkien
        Criticism: An Annotated Checklist from Kent State UP (rev. ed. 1981).

        Does your library have Proquest Dissertations (the online DAI)? You can
        use that to see how many dissertations have been done on Tolkien.

        Good luck!

        **************************************

        David D. Oberhelman

        Associate Professor

        Humanities-Social Sciences Division

        Oklahoma State University Library

        Stillwater, OK 74078

        Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579

        Email: d.oberhelman@...

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
          Hi Ashleigh,

          The Tolkien Studies suggestion is a good one, but if you don't have
          MUSE access (or access to the physical volumes in your library), or
          if you want to go further back, Michael Drout has an online
          bibliography (through 2000) at:

          http://acunix.wheatonma.edu/mdrout/TolkienBiblio/index.html

          It's a bit older but still very useful, online, and free. :)

          Jason

          PS. For more, see also:

          Richard West. "Tolkien Criticism: An
          Annotated Checklist" (1970; rev. ed. 1981)
          Richard West. "A Tolkien Checklist:
          Selected Criticism 1981–2004" in Modern
          Fiction Studies 50.4 (Winter 2004)
          Judith Johnson. "J.R.R. Tolkien: Six
          Decades of Criticism" (1986)
          Åke Jönsson. "A Tolkien Bibliography
          1911–1980: Writings by and about J.R.R.
          Tolkien" (1984, rev. ed. 1986)
        • Jason Fisher
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
            > I have a few other suggestions to add to the mix. This is a good review
            > article of criticism after 1982 by Michael Drout and Hilary Wynne:
            > http://members.aol.com/JamesIMc Nelis/9_2/ Drout_9_2. pdf

            Another good suggestion! I thought about this one, too, David. :)

            Looks like we were on the same wavelength in the reply I just sent Ashleigh.

            Jason
          • Vincent Ferré
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
              good evening,

              and if you're interested, I keep a record of academic works (= Master's
              degrees, MPhil, PhDs) in French - about 150 so far, for :
              http://pourtolkien.free.fr/recherche.html

              there's also a review on books written in French in the last _Tolkien
              Studies_ issue.

              best wishes
              Vincent

              > > I have a few other suggestions to add to the mix. This is a good review
              > > article of criticism after 1982 by Michael Drout and Hilary Wynne:
              > > http://members.aol.com/JamesIMc Nelis/9_2/ Drout_9_2. pdf
              >
              > Another good suggestion! I thought about this one, too, David. :)
              >
              > Looks like we were on the same wavelength in the reply I just sent
              Ashleigh.

              > Jason
            • Ashleigh Ward
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 7, 2006
                Thanks everyone! Some great suggestions there -- I think the example of
                French works will be an excellent way to demonstrate that critical interest
                in Tolkien is not limited to the English-speaking world. I do have access to
                Project Muse, so I'll go an check out those bibliographies right away.

                Thanks again,
                Ashleigh