RE: [mythsoc] Tolkien Criticism

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
      Ashleigh--Take a look at the bibliographies in Tolkien Studies. If your
      institution gets Project Muse, it's available online. If you need to ILL
      it, in v.1 (2004) it's pages 183-189 and called "Bibliography (in
      English) for 2001-2002; in v.2 (2005) "Addenda and Corrigenda" to the
      v.1 list is on p. 288 and "Bibliography (in English) for 2003" on p.
      317-322, and in v. 3 (2006) "Bibliography (in English) for 2004" pages
      267-276 with addenda to the 2003 list on 276.

      I think it's as close to exhaustive as you're likely to get for
      scholarly articles and books, but they do sometimes miss a few. If you
      say "at least xx articles and books" as you proposed, you should be
      safe. You might add "in English" because there are thriving scholarly
      journals in other countries as well - I know of at least one in Germany.

      Janet Brennan Croft
      Head of Access Services
      University of Oklahoma Libraries
      Bizzell 104NW
      Norman OK 73019
      405-325-1918
      Fax 405-325-7618
      jbcroft@...
      http://libraries.ou.edu/

      "We cannot abandon what we are fighting to defend; that would make our
      self-defence indefensible." Harriet Vane in A Presumption of Death, Jill
      Paton Walsh and Dorothy L. Sayers

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
        Hi, Ashleigh,

        Sounds like an excellent thesis! I'm not sure how helpful these
        journals will be for your topic, but you might check into them, if
        you haven't already.

        http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/tolkien_studies/
        http://www.wvupress.com/journals/details.php?id=3
        http://www.sayers.org.uk/seven.html

        Blessings,
        Tiffany Martin

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Ashleigh" <ashleigh.ward@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Long-time lurker, first-time poster...
        >
        > I'm currently working on a research proposal for my PhD thesis
        > (looking at the relationship between 'reality' and 'fantasy' in
        > popular epic fantasy). I want to give some indication of the
        extent
        > of 'Tolkien studies', something along the lines of "In 2005, there
        > were at least xx books and xx journal articles published on
        > Tolkien...". Even better would be if I could specify how much of
        that
        > was just on 'The Lord of the Ring'. Does anyone have any
        suggestions
        > as to where I could find these types of statistics?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Ashleigh Ward

      • Oberhelman, D
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
          Ashleigh,

          I have a few other suggestions to add to the mix. This is a good review
          article of criticism after 1982 by Michael Drout and Hilary Wynne:
          http://members.aol.com/JamesIMcNelis/9_2/Drout_9_2.pdf

          For earlier criticism, you should consult Richard West's Tolkien
          Criticism: An Annotated Checklist from Kent State UP (rev. ed. 1981).

          Does your library have Proquest Dissertations (the online DAI)? You can
          use that to see how many dissertations have been done on Tolkien.

          Good luck!

          **************************************

          David D. Oberhelman

          Associate Professor

          Humanities-Social Sciences Division

          Oklahoma State University Library

          Stillwater, OK 74078

          Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579

          Email: d.oberhelman@...

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
            Hi Ashleigh,

            The Tolkien Studies suggestion is a good one, but if you don't have
            MUSE access (or access to the physical volumes in your library), or
            if you want to go further back, Michael Drout has an online
            bibliography (through 2000) at:

            http://acunix.wheatonma.edu/mdrout/TolkienBiblio/index.html

            It's a bit older but still very useful, online, and free. :)

            Jason

            PS. For more, see also:

            Richard West. "Tolkien Criticism: An
            Annotated Checklist" (1970; rev. ed. 1981)
            Richard West. "A Tolkien Checklist:
            Selected Criticism 1981–2004" in Modern
            Fiction Studies 50.4 (Winter 2004)
            Judith Johnson. "J.R.R. Tolkien: Six
            Decades of Criticism" (1986)
            Åke Jönsson. "A Tolkien Bibliography
            1911–1980: Writings by and about J.R.R.
            Tolkien" (1984, rev. ed. 1986)
          • Jason Fisher
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
              > I have a few other suggestions to add to the mix. This is a good review
              > article of criticism after 1982 by Michael Drout and Hilary Wynne:
              > http://members.aol.com/JamesIMc Nelis/9_2/ Drout_9_2. pdf

              Another good suggestion! I thought about this one, too, David. :)

              Looks like we were on the same wavelength in the reply I just sent Ashleigh.

              Jason
            • Vincent Ferré
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
                good evening,

                and if you're interested, I keep a record of academic works (= Master's
                degrees, MPhil, PhDs) in French - about 150 so far, for :
                http://pourtolkien.free.fr/recherche.html

                there's also a review on books written in French in the last _Tolkien
                Studies_ issue.

                best wishes
                Vincent

                > > I have a few other suggestions to add to the mix. This is a good review
                > > article of criticism after 1982 by Michael Drout and Hilary Wynne:
                > > http://members.aol.com/JamesIMc Nelis/9_2/ Drout_9_2. pdf
                >
                > Another good suggestion! I thought about this one, too, David. :)
                >
                > Looks like we were on the same wavelength in the reply I just sent
                Ashleigh.

                > Jason
              • Ashleigh Ward
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 7, 2006
                  Thanks everyone! Some great suggestions there -- I think the example of
                  French works will be an excellent way to demonstrate that critical interest
                  in Tolkien is not limited to the English-speaking world. I do have access to
                  Project Muse, so I'll go an check out those bibliographies right away.

                  Thanks again,
                  Ashleigh