Tolkien Criticism

  • Ashleigh
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5, 2006
      Hi all,

      Long-time lurker, first-time poster...

      I'm currently working on a research proposal for my PhD thesis
      (looking at the relationship between 'reality' and 'fantasy' in
      popular epic fantasy). I want to give some indication of the extent
      of 'Tolkien studies', something along the lines of "In 2005, there
      were at least xx books and xx journal articles published on
      Tolkien...". Even better would be if I could specify how much of that
      was just on 'The Lord of the Ring'. Does anyone have any suggestions
      as to where I could find these types of statistics?

      Cheers,
      Ashleigh Ward
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
        Ashleigh--Take a look at the bibliographies in Tolkien Studies. If your
        institution gets Project Muse, it's available online. If you need to ILL
        it, in v.1 (2004) it's pages 183-189 and called "Bibliography (in
        English) for 2001-2002; in v.2 (2005) "Addenda and Corrigenda" to the
        v.1 list is on p. 288 and "Bibliography (in English) for 2003" on p.
        317-322, and in v. 3 (2006) "Bibliography (in English) for 2004" pages
        267-276 with addenda to the 2003 list on 276.

        I think it's as close to exhaustive as you're likely to get for
        scholarly articles and books, but they do sometimes miss a few. If you
        say "at least xx articles and books" as you proposed, you should be
        safe. You might add "in English" because there are thriving scholarly
        journals in other countries as well - I know of at least one in Germany.

        Janet Brennan Croft
        Head of Access Services
        University of Oklahoma Libraries
        Bizzell 104NW
        Norman OK 73019
        405-325-1918
        Fax 405-325-7618
        jbcroft@...
        http://libraries.ou.edu/

        "We cannot abandon what we are fighting to defend; that would make our
        self-defence indefensible." Harriet Vane in A Presumption of Death, Jill
        Paton Walsh and Dorothy L. Sayers

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
          Hi, Ashleigh,

          Sounds like an excellent thesis! I'm not sure how helpful these
          journals will be for your topic, but you might check into them, if
          you haven't already.

          http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/tolkien_studies/
          http://www.wvupress.com/journals/details.php?id=3
          http://www.sayers.org.uk/seven.html

          Blessings,
          Tiffany Martin

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Ashleigh" <ashleigh.ward@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > Long-time lurker, first-time poster...
          >
          > I'm currently working on a research proposal for my PhD thesis
          > (looking at the relationship between 'reality' and 'fantasy' in
          > popular epic fantasy). I want to give some indication of the
          extent
          > of 'Tolkien studies', something along the lines of "In 2005, there
          > were at least xx books and xx journal articles published on
          > Tolkien...". Even better would be if I could specify how much of
          that
          > was just on 'The Lord of the Ring'. Does anyone have any
          suggestions
          > as to where I could find these types of statistics?
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Ashleigh Ward

        • Oberhelman, D
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
            Ashleigh,

            I have a few other suggestions to add to the mix. This is a good review
            article of criticism after 1982 by Michael Drout and Hilary Wynne:
            http://members.aol.com/JamesIMcNelis/9_2/Drout_9_2.pdf

            For earlier criticism, you should consult Richard West's Tolkien
            Criticism: An Annotated Checklist from Kent State UP (rev. ed. 1981).

            Does your library have Proquest Dissertations (the online DAI)? You can
            use that to see how many dissertations have been done on Tolkien.

            Good luck!

            **************************************

            David D. Oberhelman

            Associate Professor

            Humanities-Social Sciences Division

            Oklahoma State University Library

            Stillwater, OK 74078

            Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579

            Email: d.oberhelman@...

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
              Hi Ashleigh,

              The Tolkien Studies suggestion is a good one, but if you don't have
              MUSE access (or access to the physical volumes in your library), or
              if you want to go further back, Michael Drout has an online
              bibliography (through 2000) at:

              http://acunix.wheatonma.edu/mdrout/TolkienBiblio/index.html

              It's a bit older but still very useful, online, and free. :)

              Jason

              PS. For more, see also:

              Richard West. "Tolkien Criticism: An
              Annotated Checklist" (1970; rev. ed. 1981)
              Richard West. "A Tolkien Checklist:
              Selected Criticism 1981–2004" in Modern
              Fiction Studies 50.4 (Winter 2004)
              Judith Johnson. "J.R.R. Tolkien: Six
              Decades of Criticism" (1986)
              Åke Jönsson. "A Tolkien Bibliography
              1911–1980: Writings by and about J.R.R.
              Tolkien" (1984, rev. ed. 1986)
            • Jason Fisher
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
                > I have a few other suggestions to add to the mix. This is a good review
                > article of criticism after 1982 by Michael Drout and Hilary Wynne:
                > http://members.aol.com/JamesIMc Nelis/9_2/ Drout_9_2. pdf

                Another good suggestion! I thought about this one, too, David. :)

                Looks like we were on the same wavelength in the reply I just sent Ashleigh.

                Jason
              • Vincent Ferré
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 6, 2006
                  good evening,

                  and if you're interested, I keep a record of academic works (= Master's
                  degrees, MPhil, PhDs) in French - about 150 so far, for :
                  http://pourtolkien.free.fr/recherche.html

                  there's also a review on books written in French in the last _Tolkien
                  Studies_ issue.

                  best wishes
                  Vincent

                  > > I have a few other suggestions to add to the mix. This is a good review
                  > > article of criticism after 1982 by Michael Drout and Hilary Wynne:
                  > > http://members.aol.com/JamesIMc Nelis/9_2/ Drout_9_2. pdf
                  >
                  > Another good suggestion! I thought about this one, too, David. :)
                  >
                  > Looks like we were on the same wavelength in the reply I just sent
                  Ashleigh.

                  > Jason
                • Ashleigh Ward
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 7, 2006
                    Thanks everyone! Some great suggestions there -- I think the example of
                    French works will be an excellent way to demonstrate that critical interest
                    in Tolkien is not limited to the English-speaking world. I do have access to
                    Project Muse, so I'll go an check out those bibliographies right away.

                    Thanks again,
                    Ashleigh