RE: [mythsoc] A NoviceTolkien Teacher

  • Jay Hershberger
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 6, 2006
      DB: Have you ever thought of finding Liszt and Beethoven works that
      would go
      well with Tolkien? The more dramatic parts of "Les Preludes" would make
      an
      arresting accompaniment to some of Tolkien's more exciting scenes, even
      if
      it's a bit more "formal" than what passes for movie music these days.
      Does
      the finale of Beethoven's Seventh Symphony sound like good
      horse-galloping
      music to you?
      JH: Good suggestions. Les Preludes? Why not. The idea of the
      "fantastic" is not without possibilities regarding Franz Liszt. The
      closest he ever got to the world of "Fairie" was in the concert etude
      "Gnomenreigen," though to be sure, the Germanic notion of "Gnomes" was
      probably different than what Tolkien wanted. I have often thought that
      his monumental B minor Piano Sonata might be a good match with the
      psychology of the power of the Ring. Beethoven 7th? It's one of my
      favorite symphonies. My father took me to a symphony concert when I was
      in the 2nd grade and that was on the program. I fell in love with it
      and subsequently wore my father's LP of Bruno Walter and the Columbia
      Symphony down to the grooves. My favorite modern performance is Carlos
      Kleiber and the Vienna Philharmonic. It is truly a spectacular
      interpretation.
      DB: Watch out for the phenomenon that many professors have found, of
      students
      who write papers based on the movies, and not on the book they were
      supposed to have read.

      JH: Thanks for the warning. Actually, that was one of the first items
      I took up on the first day of class. "If you rely on the Jackson movies
      to keep up with the plot and character development, you won't pass this
      course. You MUST read every word of the text during the course of the
      semester." I've structured the discussion time in such a manner that if
      they haven't done the assigned reading it will be very apparent, and
      part of their semester grade is based on their participation in class.
      One thing that I learned almost immediately, is that movies are the
      preferred vehicles for story telling with this generation, not books.
      When we discussed the idea of the "numinous" and the "wonder" of myth,
      legend, and fairy tale that drew Tolkien's heart out, I asked the
      students if they had ever experienced that. Their responses were
      telling, for they all cited movie examples, not books. So for some of
      these children, reading a 1000-page piece of literature is a brand new
      experience. One student has a reading disability and was quite
      concerned about how he was going to manage the 1000 pages. I suggested
      Rob Inglis' book on CD. He checked it out of the library and followed
      along in the text, and was one of the main participants in our first
      discussion session. I am simply like a kid in a candy shop on this one.

      Cheers,

      Jay Hershberger

    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 9 11:44 PM
        Hello fellows:

        I've been off-list for some time. One reason is that
        I've been looking after an early Mythopoeic personage,
        Jon Lackey. He was the producer of the "Greater
        Trumps" masque that was mounted at
        the second Mythcon in 1971. He had been in ill health
        for much of this previous year.

        I'm sorry to report that he passed away on February
        26th of cancer.
        .
        He was an enormous influence on my life, as well as
        many others. He was involved with the very
        first campaign to produce a film of "Rings" in 1957.
        A major contributor to the SCA, LASFS, a tutor and
        mentor to many, RenFair performer, artist, sculptor,
        costumer, composer, and so much more.

        Please pass this information on to anyone who might
        have known him, and have them contact me
        as regards a planned memorial.

        Thank you,
        Bonnie S. Callahan