Re: [mythsoc] looking for travel advice

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
      I've stayed at a Best Western in central London (not the same one Wayne
      Hammond stayed in), and it was equally bad: relatively inexpensive but
      still overpriced room, very tiny and otherwise unappealing room, no
      breakfast included, etc.

      However, I've stayed in Best Westerns in England outside London and they
      were both excellent. One of them was excellent on two separate occasions.

      I conclude the problem lies more with London than with Best Westerns. A
      Best Western in the middle of Florence, Italy, was kind of cramped but
      decent, and the breakfast was included and good.

      When traveling by myself in England, however, I usually stay in B&B's. I
      prefer "guest houses," as they're called: houses that have been coverted to
      all-guest accommodations, rather than someone's extra bedroom. For long
      stays I plan ahead; when traveling around I use the British tourist office
      facilities to find me a place in the next town.

      David Bratman
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6, 2006
        In a message dated 9/6/2006 3:03:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        dbratman@... writes:

        When traveling by myself in England, however, I usually stay in B&B's. I
        prefer "guest houses," as they're called: houses that have been coverted to
        all-guest accommodations, rather than someone's extra bedroom. For long
        stays I plan ahead; when traveling around I use the British tourist office
        facilities to find me a place in the next town.

        Yes, stay at B&B's (bed and breakfasts), not at hotels. Most of them that
        I've stayed at are actually entire houses converted into guest accommodations
        (including living space for the owners/managers), but I've always heard them
        referred to as B&B's. You will often get to talk to the owner as you eat
        breakfast. You can find a number of websites for finding bed and breakfasts in
        London just by Googling on the words "bed and breakfasts" and "London". If
        you're traveling around, go to Tourist Information in the town you're
        currently in one day before you leave and ask to book a room in the next town. All
        hotel and B&B rooms are comparatively small in the U.K. Don't expect to find
        American-sized rooms.

      • Lezlie
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 13, 2006
          Hello-- Thank you everyone for all of your excellent travel advice. I
          found a nice little B & B that caters somewhat to women traveling
          alone & near to the hospital :The Darlington. I have also been
          contacted by an old friend who offered his daughter's flat in central
          London for my 2nd trip -- and for all the pub and folk club &
          bookstore addresses-- thank you & all are on my list! I will also be
          able to travel into the Northern areas and take a "look-see" around
          the winter landscapes, thanks to the links you have all sent.
          I've love to arrange a cup of tea or coffee and chat about
          Tolkien with anyone feeling sociable while I'm there. Lezlie