Re: [mythsoc] A NoviceTolkien Teacher

  • Walter Padgett
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 5 10:11 PM
      Wow! Congrats! You're living the dream (my dream, anyway!).

      This sounds like the perfect environment for teaching about what (and whom)
      we all love.

      It sounds like you are loving it. Best of Luck! You will do GREAT!

      On 9/5/06, Jay Hershberger <hershjay@...> wrote:

      > Folks,
      >
      > I would like to pass on my new experience as a teacher of Tolkien and
      > Middle Earth. I am an associate professor of piano at Concordia College
      > (ELCA), Moorhead, MN. The college just revamped its Freshman first-year
      > liberal arts experience, and they invited faculty to propose courses
      > that would help introduce students to the Liberal Arts. The key was
      > that each faculty teach according to their passion. Now, in addition to
      > Liszt and Beethoven, my musical passions, I am also a Tolkien nerd.
      >
      > I proposed a class on Lord of the Rings. The college bit, and I am now
      > teaching 21 freshmen the text of The Lord of the Rings as a way of
      > introducing them to critical reading, thinking, and how to enter the
      > life of the mind. The class is a mixture of Tolkien fanatics like
      > myself, as well as those who liked the movies but never read the
      > stories. We have already discussed in class the Prologue, and Chaps.
      > 1-2 of Book I. Interestingly enough, they all wanted to talk about
      > Gandalf and Frodo's exchange regarding pity, mercy, and Gollum's role in
      > the story. I required all of them to subscribe an email listserv for
      > the class, and the discussions online are flying!
      >
      > I have never been so excited about classroom teaching!
      >
      > Wish me luck, that I won't lose perspective, and that I won't get too
      > bogged down.
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > Jay Hershberger

    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 9, 2007
        Hello fellows:

        I've been off-list for some time. One reason is that
        I've been looking after an early Mythopoeic personage,
        Jon Lackey. He was the producer of the "Greater
        Trumps" masque that was mounted at
        the second Mythcon in 1971. He had been in ill health
        for much of this previous year.

        I'm sorry to report that he passed away on February
        26th of cancer.
        .
        He was an enormous influence on my life, as well as
        many others. He was involved with the very
        first campaign to produce a film of "Rings" in 1957.
        A major contributor to the SCA, LASFS, a tutor and
        mentor to many, RenFair performer, artist, sculptor,
        costumer, composer, and so much more.

        Please pass this information on to anyone who might
        have known him, and have them contact me
        as regards a planned memorial.

        Thank you,
        Bonnie S. Callahan