Re: [mythsoc] looking for travel advice

  • Lisa Harrigan
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
      Sad to hear the Best Western was so crappy in London. We stayed at
      several in both Great Britain and Ireland and had wonderful service at
      all of them. Goes to show you how independent they all are.

      And many of the hotels we stayed at in our trip last year had small
      cramped rooms with impossible beds, including all three that we used in
      London. It may be that you can have affordable or you can have space,
      but you can't have both in London. Not too surprising since everyone
      wants to go to London.

      And we only had one place we stayed at in London that had a decent
      breakfast (though the room was small and very filled with the double bed
      and rollaway for Moose). One had a real limited, no cooking required,
      breakfast (but an almost decent size room with 3 single beds in it
      (after we got switched from a room with no circulation, no space, and a
      very crooked floor), and one had nothing at all, even though they
      claimed to have it on their website!

      Needless to say, I haven't been really impressed with London hotels.

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
        I've stayed at a Best Western in central London (not the same one Wayne
        Hammond stayed in), and it was equally bad: relatively inexpensive but
        still overpriced room, very tiny and otherwise unappealing room, no
        breakfast included, etc.

        However, I've stayed in Best Westerns in England outside London and they
        were both excellent. One of them was excellent on two separate occasions.

        I conclude the problem lies more with London than with Best Westerns. A
        Best Western in the middle of Florence, Italy, was kind of cramped but
        decent, and the breakfast was included and good.

        When traveling by myself in England, however, I usually stay in B&B's. I
        prefer "guest houses," as they're called: houses that have been coverted to
        all-guest accommodations, rather than someone's extra bedroom. For long
        stays I plan ahead; when traveling around I use the British tourist office
        facilities to find me a place in the next town.

        David Bratman
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 6, 2006
          In a message dated 9/6/2006 3:03:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          dbratman@... writes:

          When traveling by myself in England, however, I usually stay in B&B's. I
          prefer "guest houses," as they're called: houses that have been coverted to
          all-guest accommodations, rather than someone's extra bedroom. For long
          stays I plan ahead; when traveling around I use the British tourist office
          facilities to find me a place in the next town.

          Yes, stay at B&B's (bed and breakfasts), not at hotels. Most of them that
          I've stayed at are actually entire houses converted into guest accommodations
          (including living space for the owners/managers), but I've always heard them
          referred to as B&B's. You will often get to talk to the owner as you eat
          breakfast. You can find a number of websites for finding bed and breakfasts in
          London just by Googling on the words "bed and breakfasts" and "London". If
          you're traveling around, go to Tourist Information in the town you're
          currently in one day before you leave and ask to book a room in the next town. All
          hotel and B&B rooms are comparatively small in the U.K. Don't expect to find
          American-sized rooms.

        • Lezlie
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 13, 2006
            Hello-- Thank you everyone for all of your excellent travel advice. I
            found a nice little B & B that caters somewhat to women traveling
            alone & near to the hospital :The Darlington. I have also been
            contacted by an old friend who offered his daughter's flat in central
            London for my 2nd trip -- and for all the pub and folk club &
            bookstore addresses-- thank you & all are on my list! I will also be
            able to travel into the Northern areas and take a "look-see" around
            the winter landscapes, thanks to the links you have all sent.
            I've love to arrange a cup of tea or coffee and chat about
            Tolkien with anyone feeling sociable while I'm there. Lezlie