RE: [mythsoc] Re: Landscape With Dragons revisited

  • Jay Hershberger
    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 5, 2006
      JEF: And, for all practical purposese, that term might be applied to any
      religion
      that has a fixed and unchanging canon of scripture and that does not
      believe in any authority outside of that scripture.

      JH: I think you nailed the operative word-authority. Even in this
      fascinating discussion, some are appealing to an unspoken, *defacto*
      authority that suggests that filtering all experience through an
      unchangeable set of religious texts-fundamentalism-is wrong, a problem,
      or not the best way to think. Where can I find that authority? Reason?
      If the answer is reason, could there be such a thing as "fundamentalist
      rationalism?"

      Had Lewis or Chesterton lived longer, or later in the 20th century, I
      wonder how they might have addressed that question.

      The longer I live it seems to me that all of us embrace various belief
      systems (or non-belief systems) for complex, competing, and often
      non-rational (not irrational) reasons. Humans are far more complicated
      than the systems of belief they (including me) embrace. That stopped
      bothering me a long time ago.

      Perhaps listening to others-including fundamentalists-is the best way
      through all of this. But then, I guess that I am appealing to some
      authority to believe that listening to others-including
      fundamentalists-is a good thing. Life is full of irony, no?

      Cheers,

      Jay Hershberger
      Moorhead, MN

    • Bonnie Callahan
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 9, 2007
        Hello fellows:

        I've been off-list for some time. One reason is that
        I've been looking after an early Mythopoeic personage,
        Jon Lackey. He was the producer of the "Greater
        Trumps" masque that was mounted at
        the second Mythcon in 1971. He had been in ill health
        for much of this previous year.

        I'm sorry to report that he passed away on February
        26th of cancer.
        .
        He was an enormous influence on my life, as well as
        many others. He was involved with the very
        first campaign to produce a film of "Rings" in 1957.
        A major contributor to the SCA, LASFS, a tutor and
        mentor to many, RenFair performer, artist, sculptor,
        costumer, composer, and so much more.

        Please pass this information on to anyone who might
        have known him, and have them contact me
        as regards a planned memorial.

        Thank you,
        Bonnie S. Callahan